GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4motion swapped 2.5 turbo Variant Build

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Following the new build and in for pics of the new shop! :thumbsup:

Thank Tony! I've actually been stalking your build thread for some maintenance things I'll be doing while the motor is out!

Seriously cannot wait to watch this build. Is the GTI interior plug n play with the sportwagen?

Hey senseless! Glad to see you're still around.

The GTI is for the most part plug-in play. The reason for this is the Sportwagen is pretty much a perfect swap car up until the rear wheels. From the rear wheels forward, everything from the GTI fits right in. The harness has to be extended in the hatch area as the tail lights and hatch mech are different. The other area that requires some work in wiring is the doors. The panels are different, so the locks, windows, etc have to be spliced.

The rest is basically just the GTI guts in the Sportwagen. The GTI ECU has no idea that its not in a GTI, so when you move the engine, engine harness, main body harness, dash, ecu, etc, its essentially the same car, just a different body. There is a guy on this forum that did this with a Golf R swap. He has done a few since then and has been in contact with me about my preparations for this build.

Cant wait to share more in the upcoming months!

senseless1707

Ready to race!
Thank Tony! I've actually been stalking your build thread for some maintenance things I'll be doing while the motor is out!

Hey senseless! Glad to see you're still around.

The GTI is for the most part plug-in play. The reason for this is the Sportwagen is pretty much a perfect swap car up until the rear wheels. From the rear wheels forward, everything from the GTI fits right in. The harness has to be extended in the hatch area as the tail lights and hatch mech are different. The other area that requires some work in wiring is the doors. The panels are different, so the locks, windows, etc have to be spliced.

The rest is basically just the GTI guts in the Sportwagen. The GTI ECU has no idea that its not in a GTI, so when you move the engine, engine harness, main body harness, dash, ecu, etc, its essentially the same car, just a different body. There is a guy on this forum that did this with a Golf R swap. He has done a few since then and has been in contact with me about my preparations for this build.

Cant wait to share more in the upcoming months!

Good to hear. Yeah decided to give up the GTI life last year when my commute increased but stayed in the MK6 family with a TDI Sportwagen. Not super sold on the seats in the sportwagen or the color of the leather so thinking of maybe a seat swap at some point. Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to the future updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Wheels selected!

Sticking with an OEM+ theme for this build. Decided on VW Durbans.

18x7.5 ET51mm

Here is a quick photoshop mockup on the wagen.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Shop is getting closer.

Need to hang the rest of my tools/gear and set the lift in the middle of the race deck floor.

Walls are corrugated metal roofing on sides. Back and front walls are commercial peg board with 1/4 corrugated roofing at bottom.

Tucked away for the evening.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Picked up some brand spanking new take-offs from the dealer last week. Got them sealed up before the game today. Deciding wether or not I want to run PSS again with this build or try something new. Hmmm...

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
what did you use on the concrete? stain or epoxy? also how much did that race deck pad cost?

The concrete is stained in a high-gloss, water-based penetrating seal (Eagle brand). With proper prep, nothing is getting through it. I've used this for years now in other applications. Oil, trans fluid, etc can sit atop it and you can wipe it right off. It's supplied in 5 gallon drums. I used two drums to do my 24x30 shop and the pad outside the entrance.

The race deck flooring is a 10ft x 14ft and cost me around $320 to do.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Garage is coming along well! Glad to see you have your floor properly sorted. A good finish makes cleaning up much easier. And it's hard to properly do it once things have been moved in, you've got a few spots of spilled fluids, etc.

I don't want to pull your build thread too far off topic, but I've haven't heard of the Eagle water-based finish. It's not film building? How does it compare to Silane/Siloxane sealers? Longevity? Automotive fluids bead up and wipe away?

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Garage is coming along well! Glad to see you have your floor properly sorted. A good finish makes cleaning up much easier. And it's hard to properly do it once things have been moved in, you've got a few spots of spilled fluids, etc.

I don't want to pull your build thread too far off topic, but I've haven't heard of the Eagle water-based finish. It's not film building? How does it compare to Silane/Siloxane sealers? Longevity? Automotive fluids bead up and wipe away?

Tony, I'll PM you details! :thumbsup:

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Got a set of R brakes to clean up for the Wagen. I plan to use the same process I did last go-round with the GTI.

• Strip factory powder coat
  • Sand down casting marks on calipers and carriers
  • Dremel casting marks from crevices
  • Powercoat GTI red
  • Replace piston seals

These calipers are in MUCH better shape than the last ones I rebuilt.