GOLFMKV

Stage left

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Edit

Last edited:

estepnie

Ready to race!
Do you think you could post a picture looking straight down into the engine bay? I've been looking for a catch can that will fit while running Unitronic's DV relocate kit.

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Where does the rear connection off of the PCV go to? It looks like the catch can goes to the intake now.

RSenvy808

Where does the rear connection off of the PCV go to? It looks like the catch can goes to the intake now.

Kit comes with a rubber cap to plug it off.

fullsizeoutput_b28.jpeg

Last edited:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Do you think you could post a picture looking straight down into the engine bay? I've been looking for a catch can that will fit while running Unitronic's DV relocate kit.

Not to thread jack, but I have the latest Forge OCC and it fits beautifully with the Unitronic DV relocate kit. The system also allows the engine cover to fit over the hoses.

torga

Autocross Champion
Does the engine cover still fit with this kit?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
BFI link isn't working fyi. Nice review.

torga

Autocross Champion
That cut looks really nice! Like it was there from factory. Just wish we would cleanly fill the far-right semi-circle cut that the old PCV/IM hose used to live.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I have elected to remove the CC. BFI might use an OEM fitting but it is not used, in the OEM application, directly over the turbo. So without shielding it appears that this will happen again. I use my car daily, track, dyno runs for product reviews and I don’t have faith in this not happening again unless I make a type of thermal barrier. Right now I am pulling it and will think about addressing the issue after the holidays.

Really unfortunate to spend $350 on a part, only to have it fail due to a poor design. I've gone back and forth on installing a catch can for years, but it seems like all of the ones on the market have their quirks or you have to worry about freezing up the lines. I've just made it a point to replace my PCV with an oem piece and plan on carbon cleanings every 75k miles. On the bright side, we don't absolutely need a catch can setup unlike the mk7 guys, who absolutely cannot track their car unless they have one. Just last track day a guy driving a PP mk7 GTI had his day cut short because he was blowing white smoke all over the track on decel. He had no clue that a catch can was a requirement for the mk7 due to the oil filling the vacuum tube to the intake.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Really unfortunate to spend $350 on a part, only to have it fail due to a poor design. I've gone back and forth on installing a catch can for years, but it seems like all of the ones on the market have their quirks or you have to worry about freezing up the lines. I've just made it a point to replace my PCV with an oem piece and plan on carbon cleanings every 75k miles. On the bright side, we don't absolutely need a catch can setup unlike the mk7 guys, who absolutely cannot track their car unless they have one. Just last track day a guy driving a PP mk7 GTI had his day cut short because he was blowing white smoke all over the track on decel. He had no clue that a catch can was a requirement for the mk7 due to the oil filling the vacuum tube to the intake.

Ronnie, Travis Walker is giving partial information with his latest update. He has had the can for almost a year and half now. He has elected to use an intake which moves the fitting closer to the turbo, and this happened while he was on the track.

The fitting we use is an OEM connector and the fact that this melted has no relevance to our product's quality and design. If his stock PCV was connected, this in turn would have melted as well.

Even though this wasn't a BFI issue, we offered to fix the line for him for free. We feel confident that if the heat issues aren't addressed, that this would be a consistent issue.

However, we do have a Race Kit available, that uses AN fittings which are meant for track cars. This can be found Race Catch Can kit for Track duty

This would be the better choice for someone who is tracking their car. We have never seen a failure like this prior to Travis's issue.

Last edited:

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Travis, we never said our catch can isn't compatible with aftermarket intakes, nor do you have to remove it when running hard. However, the placement of your current intake pushes the fitting lower and further away from the heat shield, and you were racing at the track. We've sold 100s of catch can kits, and never seen a fitting melt the way yours has.

I'm sorry that you feel that we are retaliating for your follow up post. However, we aren't. We are providing a response to some of the information you left out of your post. The details you provided, made it appear that: this was a failure due to the catch can kit's design, that we wouldn't do anything for you, and that this happened during normal driving operation. In the other thread, it appears to a casual reader that you just received the product and it failed almost immediately.

The parts that melted were the OEM connector, and a thermoplastic clamp that's rated for over 300*F. For this to happen, the underhood temps, especially near the turbo had to have reached temperatures higher than that. For track cars, many people install a turbo blanket to help keep underhood temperatures down. This is an easy and cheap way to help fix the issue. Another would be to figure out a way to help vent this heat with a modified hood.

As I stated previous, even though this isn't a failure on our part, we will fix the hose for you for free.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie

From what I've read it's really only a requirement if you track the car (mk7).. Basically hard braking and extreme fast transitions causing the oil burn, so very difficult to replicate on regular roads. Not truly "necessary" on a street car. But I'll be getting one as a precaution, only one I read truly solves the issue is Spulen v2

VWR (racingline) is supposedly good up to a a certain boost level ~29 psi... Africa Plate still failed killing a owners turbo... Guy is local to me, basically drowned it in oil. Had to be rebuilt. Him and several R owners now run the Spulen... All pushing 500+ whp at 30+ psi.

Needles to say I'll be getting the Spulen v2.

I plan on getting a mk7 and throwing a eqt vortex on... Easily break 30 psi.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
That comment wasn't specifically about BFI. I just seemed to think they were priced fairly high for these cars once I started looking. I understand the kits that have the billet plate to replace the factory pcv assembly. I feel like 350 max is a more reasonable amount. AN fittings with push type hose connections are fine. For reference I would compare elite engineering or mighty mouse. They sell some pretty comprehensive kits for cars that cost 3 times what a new GTI does. They may not be as showy to some people but they'll get the job done. I may have mentioned this before but I have a hard time with the liability involved.