GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

sound deadning?

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
so im redoing my trunk setup as i bought the car bagged and whoever bagged it just threw everything under the floor, i want to place sound deadning to lower the sound, but does anyone know how many sq ft i need?

zug

Passed Driver's Ed
so im redoing my trunk setup as i bought the car bagged and whoever bagged it just threw everything under the floor, i want to place sound deadning to lower the sound, but does anyone know how many sq ft i need?
I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer that for you. It'd be best if you measured it yourself Are you talking only about the small section that lifts up? Or the whole trunk false floor? How many layers of sound deadening do you intend on using? I'd say you'll need at the very least about 4ftx2ft so 8 sqft. But if you're not gonna measure it I'd get way more to ensure you're covering everything.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer that for you. It'd be best if you measured it yourself Are you talking only about the small section that lifts up? Or the whole trunk false floor? How many layers of sound deadening do you intend on using? I'd say you'll need at the very least about 4ftx2ft so 8 sqft. But if you're not gonna measure it I'd get way more to ensure you're covering everything.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

that gives me a good idea, and yeah the whole false floor, like 80 percent of my road noise is from the trunk area and im going crazy lol

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
that gives me a good idea, and yeah the whole false floor, like 80 percent of my road noise is from the trunk area and im going crazy lol

If you're trying to kill road/tire noise, your typical dynamat type deadener (foil, and butly) will do next to nothing. You need something like MLV (mass loaded vinyl) to combat the low frequency drone of road/tire noise. Dynamat, and similar products are great for stopping panel vibrations/resonance, but the metal in your trunk isn't particularly prone to this because of the bends in the sheet metal.

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
If you're trying to kill road/tire noise, your typical dynamat type deadener (foil, and butly) will do next to nothing. You need something like MLV (mass loaded vinyl) to combat the low frequency drone of road/tire noise. Dynamat, and similar products are great for stopping panel vibrations/resonance, but the metal in your trunk isn't particularly prone to this because of the bends in the sheet metal.

thanks for the info!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
x2 on the MLV - i used some of the dynamat type of stuff and did my entire hatcharea to help kill road noise, it really didn't help much at all. just helped keep panels from vibrating as much, in which case i would have been better off just using some thick foam tape where the panels were hitting the metal in the first place

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
x2 on the MLV - i used some of the dynamat type of stuff and did my entire hatcharea to help kill road noise, it really didn't help much at all. just helped keep panels from vibrating as much, in which case i would have been better off just using some thick foam tape where the panels were hitting the metal in the first place

Right, the low frequency noise of road/tire noise will pass right through dynamat. Unfortunately, most people don't know this and they spend a lot of time and money using a product that is intended for a different purpose. Dynamat (or similar) is still important for a good stereo build, but you only need about 50% (some people will say even as little as 25%) coverage for it to be effective. Use it on the larger, flat panels that are more prone to vibration, and use MLV to kill road and tire noise. MLV can be more hassle than it's worth for a lot of people though, it's heavy, and you really need to have pretty much 100% coverage for it to do it's job.

It's all about using the correct product for the job.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie