GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When to take your mk6 in for first service?

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!
I have not asked my dealer what kind of oil they use for the scheduled oil changes of the GTI, but if it turns out they normally use mineral oil, do you guys think I can legitimately ask them to use synthetic instead? With a 10,000 mile interval, I would be very uncomfortable with mineral oil.

[EDIT] Nevermind... The owners manual specifically says that synthetic lube that meets VW quality standards must be used. :)

When you say "mineral oil" I am assuming you mean conventional or "ash" oil?
I wouldn't assume that your dealership is using the correct oil just because of certain VW specific standards (507.00 is the most recent all-inclusive I believe). I've seen VW dealers running sub-standard "blends" that failed to comply with VW standards more than once. Remember, it only takes 15% synthetic oil to be considered "synthetic blend". Things may have changed with the recent introduction of the carefree maintenance package, but I'd make sure that you're getting the proper motor oil. If they advertise a "$20 quick lube" oil change or something along those lines, there's a good chance the service department is hurting and cutting corners to get work in the door. You may have to pay more for full synthetic, but you'd be better served to bring your own oil and take out the guesswork.

daihard

Ready to race!
When you say "mineral oil" I am assuming you mean conventional or "ash" oil?
Perhaps. I may not be using the correct term. I simply meant "conventional oil" (i.e. non-synthetic).

I wouldn't assume that your dealership is using the correct oil just because of certain VW specific standards (507.00 is the most recent all-inclusive I believe). I've seen VW dealers running sub-standard "blends" that failed to comply with VW standards more than once. Remember, it only takes 15% synthetic oil to be considered "synthetic blend". Things may have changed with the recent introduction of the carefree maintenance package, but I'd make sure that you're getting the proper motor oil. If they advertise a "$20 quick lube" oil change or something along those lines, there's a good chance the service department is hurting and cutting corners to get work in the door. You may have to pay more for full synthetic, but you'd be better served to bring your own oil and take out the guesswork.

Thanks for the advice. I chatted with the service guy at my dealership this morning about it. He says they use Castrol SLX (5W-30, VW 502.00 505.00) but will be happy to use Castrol Syntec (5W-40, VW 502.00 505.00) at the customer's request at no cost. I'll just have to make sure I tell the service rep about my preference when I take the car in for an oil change. :)

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Yes
I ordered my blackstone kit will do it at 10,000 miles and send it in.
VWs have been doing oil changes for 7,500 miles for almost 20 years now one dealership I worked at they refused to do an oil change with under 7,000 miles on it.

daihard

Ready to race!

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Is castrol syntech full synthetic?

Yes. And it's "Syntec" with no 'h'. :)

Not exactly... while it is "synthetic" according to US regulations, in Europe it would not be allowed to be sold under that label as it does not meet EU regulations for synthetic motor oils. There, it would be sold as "semi-synthetic."

It's "severely refined mineral oil" which is a Group III oil. What you want for full synthetic oils are Group IV or V oils which have minimal mineral oil content and is ester- or PAO-based. These protect better and perform better under more demanding conditions.

The only Castrol Syntec sold in the US that is a "full" synthetic is the German Castrol 0W-30, which can be used in our cars as well. There are other oils available that meet the "full" synthetic criteria; do a search to find them on the forums here.

I personally use Motul X-Cess 8100, which is a Group IV synthetic oil, and other swear by Pentosin etc.

daihard

Ready to race!
Not exactly... while it is "synthetic" according to US regulations, in Europe it would not be allowed to be sold under that label as it does not meet EU regulations for synthetic motor oils. There, it would be sold as "semi-synthetic."
So you're saying the ads like below are false?

http://www.autobarn.net/castrol-syntec-motor-oil.html

If so, we will need to file some complaints to the BBB or somewhere...

[ADD]

Did a bit more googling on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

The page says Group III oil must not be called synthetic in Germany and Japan. So if Castrol Syntec is in fact categorised as Group III, then I must agree with you that it is not full synthetic.

I guess I will stick my decision to let the dealer use Syntec on my GTI, though. I looked around and the consensus seems to be that Castrol Syntec is "good enough" to be used for the 10K oil changes on the GTI. :)

Last edited:

daihard

Ready to race!

Bender1

Banned
So you're saying the ads like below are false?

http://www.autobarn.net/castrol-syntec-motor-oil.html

If so, we will need to file some complaints to the BBB or somewhere...

[ADD]

Did a bit more googling on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

The page says Group III oil must not be called synthetic in Germany and Japan. So if Castrol Syntec is in fact categorised as Group III, then I must agree with you that it is not full synthetic.

I guess I will stick my decision to let the dealer use Syntec on my GTI, though. I looked around and the consensus seems to be that Castrol Syntec is "good enough" to be used for the 10K oil changes on the GTI. :)

You will almost certainly have more carbon build up with a Group III than a Group IV... I would spend the extra few bucks to protect my investment.

vdub10golf

Go Kart Champion
They wrote "5000" on the window sticker for my first oil change. But after making an appt and confirming my mileage over the phone, they didnt inform me that it didnt need an oil change until 10k until I got up there.

woofie2

Ready to race!
They wrote "5000" on the window sticker for my first oil change. But after making an appt and confirming my mileage over the phone, they didnt inform me that it didnt need an oil change until 10k until I got up there.
I was in a dealership where the service manager was explaining the 5k oil change theory to a customer, I bit my tongue.
Basically it was "CityDriving, is hard on oil, Blah Blah Blah:" the guy was coming in every 5-6 weeks to change his oil, I am sure he was not sitting in traffic that much. I talked to him in the waiting area said "if you are driving in top gear and the car is moving at highway speeds, every 10k miles is perfectly fine, if you spend 6 hours every week sitting in traffic, then maybe 5k is probably a better idea. It's all in how many hours the motor is running not just how far you drove."
basically 160 hours at 60 MPH gives you 10k miles, at half the speed average or 30 MPH you will have driven 4800 miles. (so with an average speed of 45 MPH on my vehicle I should change my oil every 7500 miles, but I still push it to around 10k miles)

Dealerships want you to come in and change your oil every 5k because of the profits from the oil change.
It makes me wonder if they actually change the oil on the 5k service intervals, or if they just charge you for the oil change, but just topping off the fluids and dusting off the air filter.

Last edited:

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Yes in the UK its a 10,000 mile service interval and very expensive for an oil and filter change. Don't you have the service plan in the States. I asked about the price of servicing when I ordered mine. They say it was £150 per service so while its under warranty for 3 years I decided I may as well have their 3 year service plan for £250. After then I will change it myself. ;)