GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost didn't pass RECON - With DG SPRINGS!

rasibert

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to share my recon experience. Wasn't too bad. I went in for the last appointment of the day 2:00pm. The inspector came out and told me to pop the hood. He walked around the car then came back to the front of the car. Then he did the infamous 'bounce' test by pushing down on the front of the car near the passenger head light. He tried again and stepped back. Let out a deep breath and said, 'i don't know? Suppose to travel two inches.' Or whatever the amount is. I looked at him and said I'll I got is Driver Gear springs that lower the car not even half an inch. I don't even think the stock suspension on this car would pass a bounce test.

He really looked like he wasn't going to pass me?! He probably stood there for a minute trying to decide. Which felt like forever. But eventually he came around and said ok. He measured the license plate and bumper heights, got all my paperwork, we went in the office, paid, and I was out of there in less than 20 minutes.

Long story short, the 'bounce' test is totally BS. But I'm glad i passed. I'm over thirty and tried to be a grown up and do everything legit. If i didn't pass recon, i would've went straight home and ordered some coils.

rasibert

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes I know. I think Hawaii is the only place in the world where you need RECON. It's gotten a lot less strict over the years, at least we don't have emissions testing.

rasibert

Passed Driver's Ed
RECON = reconstruction in Hawaii

In a nut shell, if you do anything to your car. ie not stock anymore. you need to get RECON. Or the cops pull you over and give you a ticket. It was really strict before, you needed RECON for exhaust, intake, drop, wheels, body modifications, etc, etc, etc.

But it really opened up only recently. I think you only need RECON for modified suspension, engine swaps to a different number of cylinders, and some other stuff. It's retarded.

I don't even think the State of Hawaii along with Hawaii Police know what the laws are.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I've been to Hawaii on a number of occasions and if you indeed have this "recon" testing how in the hell does every other driver have a super lifted truck on 35-38's!!? I thought car mods would be easy to pass anything out there, lol

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Is recon a salvage title?

rasibert

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been to Hawaii on a number of occasions and if you indeed have this "recon" testing how in the hell does every other driver have a super lifted truck on 35-38's!!? I thought car mods would be easy to pass anything out there, lol

I know. There are modded vehicles everywhere without RECON. Let me explain. The other thing we have in Hawaii is an annual Safety Check. And if your car is modded without RECON, you won't pass Safety Check. An expired Safety Check is an almost guarantee ticket from a cop as compared to a no RECON.

So most people in Hawaii just make sure they have a Safety Check. There are 'ways' to get a Safety without RECON. I'm just too old for that. From back in the low rider days, with pumps n Daytons. And trying to find a friend of a friend, or paying way too much. Its just time to go legit and have a hassle free car.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Wow that is wild, I always thought california was mad for mods... this is a whole new level... That's how it is over in western europe.

E-Rocko

Ready to race!
So they were saying the DG springs were too stiff? That's weird. Glad you passed, though. I had an H&R cupkit on my old B7 A4 and passed. I'm so tired of recon. Just one more hassle.

rasibert

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks man! Ya I'm sick of recon too. That's why I got a bunch of modified suspension tickets in high school! Lol!
And the inspector was probably the same weight as me, 130 or so. Ya I'm a smaller flip. Hehe. But his bounce test compared to someone heavier would have different results. That's why it's a bunch of bull. Ah, at least he passed me. I guess I can't complain.