GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Sub & Amp Install

FFAC

Ready to race!
To start it off, I am in no way a professional. I have never done an install before this and had no knowledge of how to do it prior (I took it very slow!). I simply searched through the internet to find the necessary information for the install (golfmk6.com, golfmkv.com, my-gti.com, and google.com). I thought it would be easier for someone in the future if they saw most of this information in one place.

I installed the following:

- Rockford Fosgate p1000-1bd
- 10" Orion hp10d2 subwoofer

I gathered up all of the necessary accessories as well:

- Wiring
- Wire nuts
- Splice materials (plastic pieces)
- Line level converter
- RCA cable

The process:

1. Take out the battery and the battery case in order to get to the hole in the firewall (I also unhooked the front of my intake in order to have more room). My setup looked like this...

2. From here you have to find a hole to pass the power cable through (this cable will connect your amp to a power source...I used the battery). The hole I passed my cable through can be seen in the pictures below. The rubber looks as though it has "cow udders."

This pictures shows the size of the "cow udder" that I cut off.

Here is a picture of what the power cable will look like when slid through the "cow udder" hole that I just opened up...

Here is a picture of what the power cable will look like coming through the other end (inside the car).

3. From here I grounded the amp by scratching some of the paint off of the floorboard and then nailed the "ground" wire to that same spot (a current will not run through paint).

4. The next step I took was popping out the outer edge of the head unit (I used a flat head screwdriver). You then must take out four screws (on each corner), then slide the head unit out of the dash. These steps can be seen below...

5. For the next couple of steps I used about 60 feet of 14 gauge wire (I cut them into 5 sections, each at 12 feet in length, I also got different colors in order to decipher between the right and left rear speakers). The 12 foot sections are for the following...

- Voltage Supply, positive (15) (This goes into the "REM" hole on my amp) I used a switch for this wire...picture below.
- Rear right loudspeaker, positive (1) (Hook up to line level converter)
- Rear right loudspeaker, negative (5) (Hook up to line level converter)
- Rear left loudspeaker, positive (4) (Hook up to line level converter)
- Rear left loudspeaker, negative (8) (Hook up to line level converter)

The numbers in the parentheses are the slot numbers (on back of the head unit) in which to splice/tap into in order to hook the amp up. I hooked the other end of these wires into the line level converter (picked it up at Best Buy) by using wire nuts.

I used this site for the slot number directory...

http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments

From here I hooked up the RCA cables to the line level converter and then plugged them into the amplifier.

6. At this moment I checked if the amp got power (hook up the battery, the power cable to the amp, the ground cable to the amp, etc).

7. It was pretty easy from here on out...simply hook up your sub to your amplifier...hopefully you've got the subs working!

Here are some pictures of how I got the wires from the front of the car to the back of the car...

This is the front door driver side zoomed in so you can see where the wires come from.

This is the front door driver side.

This is the back door driver side.

Here is the switch I used that I mentioned above in order to turn on/off my amp.

Let me know if you need anymore help/pictures! (I will post pictures of the final product tomorrow.)

Here are the pictures of the final product...

Here are a couple of photos from the switch I installed as well. It is underneath the steering column. So far I really like the ability to turn the amp on/off whenever I want (I am sure if I ever forget to turn it off I won't be so happy). AND, even cooler was the little plastic hole/spot that was already there from the factory, meaning...I did not have to drill a hole through the plastic molding of the car.

Last edited:

2011gti

Ready to race!
hey i am goin to be trying this install this week just got subs and amp and all the wiring and a box to plug the RCA cables to it, but i was wondering what wires do i splice in to get power to that box if you knew?

CGTI

Ready to race!
you said you hooked power for the amp directly to the battery? If so that is why it is on all the time.

FFAC

Ready to race!
hey i am goin to be trying this install this week just got subs and amp and all the wiring and a box to plug the RCA cables to it, but i was wondering what wires do i splice in to get power to that box if you knew?

Look at this diagram (it is the back of the RCD510)...

http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments

Splice into 1 (Rear right loudspeaker, positive)
Splice into 5 (Rear right loudspeaker, negative)
Splice into 4 (Rear left loudspeaker, positive)
Splice into 8 (Rear left loudspeaker, negative)

These will allow your amp to be connected to your radio.

In order to turn on the amp, you have to splice into 15 (Voltage supply, positive). This wire constantly runs power (100% of the time, even when the car is off...this would kill your battery if you left it like this). In order to shut the connection off, I used a switch...a picture of it is below (or above). I will post pictures tomorrow of the final result.

In order to have power for your amp, you must connect the amp to the battery.

this is awesome! post more pics....

Done!

nice little writeup.

Thanks!

I've read people are using the cigarette lighter for the (REM) wire.

Thanks, I decided to go a different route...

you said you hooked power for the amp directly to the battery? If so that is why it is on all the time.

I have to hook the amp to the battery in order to supply the amp with power, this does not automatically mean the amp will turn on. I used slot 15 (Voltage supply, positive) in order to have the amp turn on.

However, the amp would stay on 100% of the time if I just left it like this. I fixed this by adding a switch (in the picture below)...now I can turn on/off the amp whenever I want (I just have to make sure I shut it off every time I get out of the car, otherwise...dead battery! :().

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 103021

why not wire it into the ignition or something so it turns on and off with the car?

or even better, to the radio, so it only turns on when the radios on!

FFAC

Ready to race!
why not wire it into the ignition or something so it turns on and off with the car?

or even better, to the radio, so it only turns on when the radios on!

Please tell me which wire is for the radio! I could not find it anywhere!

D

Deleted member 103021

i have no idea, sorry :(

i just got a Fusion CS-AT1100, and apparently it turns on/off with the car, so try looking that up (i havent installed mine yet)

yada22

Ready to race!
i have no idea, sorry :(

i just got a Fusion CS-AT1100, and apparently it turns on/off with the car, so try looking that up (i havent installed mine yet)

you can also just wire it to a fuse that turns on and off with the car, or what i think other people are doing is wiring the remote wire to the rear cigarette lighter/power outlet.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
you can also just wire it to a fuse that turns on and off with the car, or what i think other people are doing is wiring the remote wire to the rear cigarette lighter/power outlet.

i believe he said he wire the remote wire AND added the switch so he can turn off the sub with the car on....say if you get pulled over or a re riding through some areas of say DC it is nice haha

i did the same thing in my blazer when i had 2 12" JL's

FFAC

Ready to race!

I thought about doing this but went a different way with it. Thank you for the help, though.

i believe he said he wire the remote wire AND added the switch so he can turn off the sub with the car on....say if you get pulled over or a re riding through some areas of say DC it is nice haha

i did the same thing in my blazer when i had 2 12" JL's

Exactly. I really like having this option.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
How much was the line level converter? I went to best buy and found what I thought was a line level converter, just boxed/labeled differently, but it was $100!!!

yada22

Ready to race!
How much was the line level converter? I went to best buy and found what I thought was a line level converter, just boxed/labeled differently, but it was $100!!!

go on to amazon and search a line out converter should only be 10-15 bucks!!