GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DISCOVERED MY CAR IS STAGE II W/ APR DOWNPIPE..

eherma

You've had the car for a year? VW isn't gonna do anything for you.

The car has a bumper to bumper warranty for 6 years or until 105,000ish miles. I'm at 49,000.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Get the clutch fixed while they can do it for you. Seems you already got the hardware so if you decide to go back to Stg2 you can do that later. At least the expensive repair is not on your dime.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Why are we so sure the clutch is covered here? It's a wearable item, especially at 49k. Shit, add tires/brakes/wiper blades while you're at it.

Watch your car pop a TD1 when it goes in for service, and them say the car was modded in the year since you bought it. Stealerships :thumbdown:

eherma

Regardless, best case scenario VW offers to replace your clutch with a new OEM clutch. You don't want another weak clutch that's gonna start slipping. And they won't install an aftermarket clutch for you.

It's not under warranty.. they said $3,000 to replace oem. If I tell them about the tune, they'll fix it for free most likely lol.

zrickety

The Fixer
My stage 1 car slipped the clutch under certain conditions, you just let off the gas a bit or downshift a gear. I made it last over 100k with no other issues. Don't expect the dealer to pay for a clutch, just wait for the next real problem to bring it in. APR will 'transfer' the tune to your name for a couple hundred bucks, at least that's how it used to be. Then you can get reflashed if something happens at the dealer.

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
Question for OP, if your car is stage 2 tuned how are you driving around on stage 1? You can't change stages , you can go stock and different octane levels. Be careful you are not running the car with the wrong octane. Eg: 93 file and you are buying 87 or 104 and you are buying 93. Continue to do this and clutch may not be your only problem.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Question for OP, if your car is stage 2 tuned how are you driving around on stage 1? You can't change stages , you can go stock and different octane levels. Be careful you are not running the car with the wrong octane. Eg: 93 file and you are buying 87 or 104 and you are buying 93. Continue to do this and clutch may not be your only problem.

good Question. You can switch between 91 or 93 or stock tune but I've not heard of switching between stage 1 & 2. Maybe OP meant the latter aka valet mode?

eherma

good Question. You can switch between 91 or 93 or stock tune but I've not heard of switching between stage 1 & 2. Maybe OP meant the latter aka valet mode?

Definitely meant octane files not stages. I buy 93 octane, so what are the different levels then?

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
That would depend on what previous own did. If he got program switching it's usually 4. Choices are stock, valet, 89, 93 104. You need to know what you have and the order they are in. You don't want to be running 104 with 93 octane gas. Oh it could also be high or low torque file (of the same octane).

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
AFAIK there's no need to touch the ecu for a clutch job. Hell no codes to run. Never heard of a stealership reflashing software anyhow. I had my t.o.b. And clutch done under tsb with stage 1. They knew it was flashed only after they test drove it... still not flagged btw. I've had two intakes done and coil packs under warranty.... no reflash... unless things are different in US shops....

Anyhow some good info on this page. Make a move then sit back and keep grinning while you blaze through the gears :happyanim::happyanim::D

I've heard of a dealership flashing updates and erasing tunes....