GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Concerning FS used APR dongles

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
They have stated that they marry the dongle for security purposes. Whether or not you believe that is beside the point. Read on. To play devils advocate, suppose the OP stole that dongle or doesn't have a bill of sale, how could APR confirm that his possession of the dongle is warranted? For APR to grant his wish to unmarry the dongle would open the potential for others to then steal many dongles and sell them. All I'm saying is that, as a policy matter, I can understand why they'd only want the original owner to request the dongle be unmarried.

Perhaps if the original owner and *****2.0t both somehow proved that the OP should be in posession of the dongle and gave their consent to have it unmarried again, APR would be complicit?

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
I'm gonna try calling them again. I get the point you're trying to make XGC75, but since when was APR in the security business (other than securing their software from being pirated)?

Bottom line, I would love to be reached out to, and I will reach out myself as well. In the end I am stock and would like to get a stage 1 tune. I was hoping APR since there is a VW dealer near me that deals with them. If they help me out, I have more of a reason to be there customer, and give them my money for product. If not I have less so. Also, I am fully aware that most decisions come from the top, so let me state that I did not intend to harp on either Arin nor Sean in this thread. I understand they work there and have to play by the rules they are given.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I tried to warn everyone in that FS thread. APR specifically said that they couldn't and wouldn't be able to transfer dongles between customers when they first released the dongle. It sounds like they made exceptions for a few APR elite members in typical APR fashion. Us plebeians will have not have such luxuries.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
OK: UPDATE.

So I called again, and talked to one of there cool sales guys (Justin). Here's the deal:

* They DO have a policy of not unpairing these dongles, HOWEVER..
* Given that I am stock, and given that I'm looking to use them for stage 1 ECU software (i.e. new business), they WILL unpair this thing for me! I'm paying shipping both ways, and they are charging $50 to have it unpaired, but they are doing it!

The unpairing process is NOT APR standard policy (yet). Hopefully it will be in the near future so these things don't just turn to worthless junk once the OG owner either sells their car or the dongle itself.

Anyway, thanks Justin for helping out. It is appreciated. My original warning still stands though until they officially clarify and/or change their policy.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
It's odd they are going to do it. I wouldn't announce the dealer name as its strongly against APR policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
They used to un-marry the dongle for a price...I guess not anymore? Kinda dumb we should be able to sell if we wanted. I can't imagine many people would sell their dongle so APR wouldn't losing many sales and still make a few dollars if anybody did want to have theirs un-married.

The brain trust at the APR empire thinks otherwise

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
It's odd they are going to do it. I wouldn't announce the dealer name as its strongly against APR policy.

I'm not mentioning a dealer because I talked to APR themselves. Just wanted to report back for the community's benefit. Besides, not one told me to keep this hush hush.

sean@apr

Ready to race!
I didn't see your PM. For some reason, GolfMK6 doesn't email me anymore when people send PMs. Sorry for not seeing it.

Justin is the man. We'll always clear it for $50, but some of the newer sales guys just aren't aware of that. I'll make sure they know.

Glad it's resolved.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I didn't see your PM. For some reason, GolfMK6 doesn't email me anymore when people send PMs. Sorry for not seeing it.

Justin is the man. We'll always clear it for $50, but some of the newer sales guys just aren't aware of that. I'll make sure they know.

Glad it's resolved.

Is this now part of the wording on your website? Is this now the policy, or if I buy one and then 6 months down the line you guys decide change your policy and not to do it anymore or raise the price and then I'm SOL?

Shouldn't this say something about that?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436997761.845678.jpg

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
I don't work for free. I require enormous quantities of food, booze and smoking substances to maintain my sanity while doing this kind of work.

Would you have me eat ramen, drink keystone and smoke yard clippings?

:bellyroll:

sticksabuser

Ready to race!

Glad it's resolved.

Original post updated with a link to this.