GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 KIA Forte5 SX or 2013 VW GTi Drivers Edition?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I prefer a manual clutch because it keeps me entertained when I'm puttering around and not trying to get the most out of the car. If I'm strafing a backroad I might prefer a DSG because I like to direct more attention towards managing load transfer between the tires and less towards shifting, but at the same time there's not much more rewarding than a perfectly done heel/toe downshift.

PLP

Just thinking of the whole dilemma.

I guess I am trying to be "purist" in form of compromise. DSG would feel like a stick without the clutch pedal.
And I enjoyed driving a stick for the last 3 weeks while on vacation in Poland.

I think what is boiling down to is the power from engine.
Hear me out.
With NA engine, all the power at certain RPM is readily available upon request. Hence each shift, push pedal - power is there all you can get. No delay.
With turbo - there is this lag. And by lag I am talking about the low end, like 2000 rpm. High end - it is minimal with this small twin scroll in Forte. Yet, still felt.

Hence, I found AT to be much faster in regular driving (for acceleration). It is slower only when it comes down to high rpm like anything above 4000 when the TC is still unlocked and 20-30% of power is lost as heat. That is the part that drives me crazy with AT.

So all in all - if it was NA, or virtually no lag turbo - I would go back to MT. Otherwise, I will still opt for AT whether DCT/DSG/PDK - you name it or TC.

Just some things are missing from Golf - memory seats for instance, or vented front seats, or even the element of surprise that a KIA pulls so strongly that a V6 Mustang was not keeping up (maybe poor driver).

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Yes, if you must compromise on an auto a DSG is the way to go. And yes it will be faster. But don't kid yourself about it being anything like a stick.