GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Using different API service rating oil in VW GTI

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys and gals!

I used a different API rating engine oil in my GTI’s 2.0T TSI engine: see pic below. It’s not VW 502.00 / VW 504.00 approved... its BMW/MB approved (spec rating).

Can I continue to drive with this type of oil?
Will this destroy the engine?

I don’t see it as a problem because I know that engine oil that can be used in BMW’s and MB’s can be used in VW’s.

Any one shine some light on this please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
Huh, strange. I used Leichtlauf as well, but my bottles not only have the BMW/MB/Porsche/Renault spec, but the VW spec as well.
To be honest, I'd say you're fine. This oil still hits the spec of all of those luxury brands (and Renault). I don't think there's reason to believe it would be bad for your engine.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have heard of dealers giving people hard times if there is a claim and they find that you didn’t use an approved oil. Since you are out of warranty I wouldn’t worry.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure it's the same oil as this here - https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils/synthoil-high-tech-5w-40-1.html Which says its vw 502/505

A ton of people run liquimoly though. It's the only oil that's been in my car in the last 6 years. My mechanic stocks it at his shop and uses it in his customers cars. If you asked what oil people are using on the facebook page I wouldn't be surprised if half of them said liquimoly.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Huh, strange. I used Leichtlauf as well, but my bottles not only have the BMW/MB/Porsche/Renault spec, but the VW spec as well.
To be honest, I'd say you're fine. This oil still hits the spec of all of those luxury brands (and Renault). I don't think there's reason to believe it would be bad for your engine.

Thank you! Yes, I believe all is well. It shouldn't do any harm. My GTI is running fine, so all is well! Thank you!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I have heard of dealers giving people hard times if there is a claim and they find that you didn’t use an approved oil. Since you are out of warranty I wouldn’t worry.

Lol yeah my car is tuned, and modified, so warranty has been voided. So this doesn't really matter to me. Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty sure it's the same oil as this here - https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils/synthoil-high-tech-5w-40-1.html Which says its vw 502/505

A ton of people run liquimoly though. It's the only oil that's been in my car in the last 6 years. My mechanic stocks it at his shop and uses it in his customers cars. If you asked what oil people are using on the facebook page I wouldn't be surprised if half of them said liquimoly.

Yaa I heard of LiquiMoly from the day I owned my MK6 GTI, I went with MOTUL for a couple years, and for the year 2019, I switched to LiquiMoly. I will stick to LM, engine runs kind of smoother IMO. Yeah most German cars use LiquiMoly as LM engine oil is made in Germany, so why not use engine oil made in Germany in German cars :) Thanks for your feedback!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

I'm sure you would be right from an enthusiasts point of view on these forums and FB Pages; but if you were to compare their LM sales volume against the industry, the fact is only a small percentage use it, Castrol and Mobile 1 are still the oil use in most European makes by a wide margin, including VW/Audi.

zrickety

The Fixer
I believe any high quality oil is fine. I know 5w-40 is recommended, and some run 0w-40 because it's available. I live in a hot climate, so I actually use synthetic 10w-40 or even 10w-30 Mobil 1. Going on 160k now...