GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fried catalytic converter

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Title says it all. If I run the car like it is am I likely to see problems? Should I just get a new downpipe asap? Cts turbo has a sale right now for a catless downpipe $339

kbrett11

Ready to race!
i doubt your cats are fried.

I'm Apr stage 1 with intake on a stock exhaust and am always on the gas. Kinda drive it like I stole it, but within reason obviously. the guy who owned the vehicle prior to me had it on a lease and blew the clutch and the coil packs. I just got a cel and ran the code. It's a p0420. Catylist efficiency below threshold i believe. Car hesitates slightly under WOT and feels "backed up" if that makes sense

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶?̶ NVM I see you just posted it.

PS: Is there an easy way I can do strikethrough text in replies?

Last edited:

kbrett11

Ready to race!
What engine codes are you getting?

P0420 Car hesitates for a brief second under WOT. Seems to be "backed up" like it's not pushing the power thru. The engine is running hard but not going as fast as it should. My best description

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
How many miles do you have on it?

kbrett11

Ready to race!
How many miles do you have on it?

About to clock 70,000. I've kept up with all maintenance and oil changes at 5k. Just changed to r8 coil packs and ngk bk7 plugs and replaced o2 bank1 sensor1 (cbfa)

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Going catless won't remove the code, just resolve the symptoms. Maybe the second O2 sensor needs replaced.

I would try clearing the code first and see if it comes up again.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Going catless won't remove the code, just resolve the symptoms. Maybe the second O2 sensor needs replaced.

I would try clearing the code first and see if it comes up again.

I actually just cleared codes last week. I was having mad hesitation even under light throttle. I replaced packs and plucks and front o2 and it runs great now. Cleared codes after and started boosting to make sure all is well and now I have this code. I don't care about the code itself, it's the symptoms and how the car runs. If there is a problem with the performance of the car I want to fix it.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Just knock the cat out....no reason to buy a catless dp. Did it to my billy boat dp last year.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Just knock the cat out....no reason to buy a catless dp. Did it to my billy boat dp last year.

Well I plan on going stage 2 and eventually ko4 and I don't have a dp yet. I figure now is a good excuse to get the downpipe I want while it's on sale and at a time I could justify spending the $$ if I did knock the cat out of the stock exhaust, how would I go about doing that?

NLeo

Ready to race!
If your cat is clogged vw has a 8 year/80k warranty on the emission components. I highly doubt your stock cat is clogged after 70k. My moneys on a bad o2 sensor.