GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Discuss Clutch Options (Disc, Pressure Plate, Flywheel) - Summary of discussion

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Thrust Bearing? Wtf is that???? What did BFI say?? Im second guessing BFI now :(

He likely is talking about a Thrust bearing, not a TOB. The thrust bearings are on the crankshaft to prevent the crank from moving around.

I think he is speculating that a stronger pressure plate could add wear to it, but there isn't anything to suggest that yet.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
He likely is talking about a Thrust bearing, not a TOB. The thrust bearings are on the crankshaft to prevent the crank from moving around.

I think he is speculating that a stronger pressure plate could add wear to it, but there isn't anything to suggest that yet.

What you think then? Go with BFI or no

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
What you think then? Go with BFI or no

I personally like to buy products from companies that specialize in the particular product (Stoptech/Brembo/APRacing for brakes, bilstein/koni/eibach for suspension,etc...). In this case, I chose Southbend. Been nothing but happy with mine. All the kinks of the old failures are worked out and I have yet to see an issue with them to date.

I have no evidence to say BFI isn't good, so I can't say don't do it. I wouldn't personally though, per the above train of thought.

adam.mk6.gti

Yes I did mean Thrust bearing. As in the one holding your crankshaft in place. Essentially one of the thrust washers fell out into the sump and resulted in 3-4mm end float on the crank.

As kthor703 said, there is no proof that the pressure plate resulted in that. And realistically any clutch kit above stage 2 has an upgraded pressure plate. The plate is made by competition clutch so who knows. I most likely got ridiculously unlucky in my failure. But the Pressure Plate may have contributed (Regardless of Manufacturer).

BFI, ClutchMasters and SouthBend commented that they had not seen this failure on any of their kits with upgraded pressure plates. They had seen it on other motors in rare cases but not the golf kits

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
If I had to do my clutch all over again, I would just go with SouthBend. Before the Sachs I was looking at a SouthBend Stage 2.

Let me tell you one thing though. I busted my head for months trying to figure out what clutch would be good and not shit the bed within 2 months of owning it, at the end I got what I got, but tbh....don't over think it. If you're going to have a shop install it, then ask them what they recommend. I did so much reading and research that I had headaches lol it's not worth it, for the most part they all work.

All you need to figure out is whether you want a SMFW or the stock DMFW. Then decide what material disc you want and that's it. Those are the important things in the equation. Once you know the answer to the above two questions you can just pick whichever company gives you the best deal.

WaffleStomped

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking to buy that for their twin clutch organic disc setup.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

Why the twin clutch? How much power are you putting down?

I'm k04 and from everything else I've seen people get by with clutches rated to 400lb-ft even though that is close to borderline IMO.

Joveen

Ready to race!
Why the twin clutch? How much power are you putting down?

I'm k04 and from everything else I've seen people get by with clutches rated to 400lb-ft even though that is close to borderline IMO.
Planing to go big soon.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

mrwhite79

Throw out bearing...

And the problem with BFI is there are no decent reviews. Every one that exists is like "yeah bro had dis clutch fo 1200 miles yo its perfect no issues u should go 2 buy it right now" but no long term reviews. Like i don't give a shit if your clutch lasted a thousand miles. Congrats. And then they never follow up with how it held up long term. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just passing through, but I've had the Stage1 BFI kit for about 30k miles now. Car is Stage 1 Revo tuned, but stock otherwise.

Clutch holds strong, never had any signs of slipping. Pedal feel is really firm compared to stock. I dont care for it. Much stiffer than I'd expect on a stage 1, especially since they only advertise it supporting up to 290tq. The SMF is definitely loud as crap, but everyone knows that. I cant tell a difference between rev speed on this lightened SMF vs the DMF, and revs still hang forever.

However - in the last 5k miles or so, I'm occasionally getting a squeak on clutch release. Not sure if it's the release bearing or what.

I havent driven other MK6's with other clutches, but compared to other 'stage1' clutches I've driven, I dont like this one. The pedal is just too stiff for what it is and it's really takes some effort to drive it smoothly.

Gino

Ready to race!
Coming back to this thread to report that I am slipping with my built RSR clutch in the higher RPMs of 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. I don't feel like it is no where near as bad as my stock clutch on stage 2 uni slipping, but its enough to notice in data logs. Its been about 30K miles since install, but I did at the time opt to not replace the DMFW. That would mean this DMFW has 96K miles on it. Honestly, I didn't think the car would make it to where it is today or that I would be pro-tuning for more power, but I am now. Would it be safe to assume that perhaps that DMFW is the weak link and that it may need replacing? Plenty of people have handled Stage 3 power with an RSR so I think if parts weren't old/failing that I should be fine with K04 + Meth. Any input or suggestions?

I noticed HS Tuning is offering another clutch kit with a hybrid clutch disk. Anybody by chance given that kit a try?

Andrew429

Ready to race!
since the thread was bumped I might as well post an update on my drop in disk, been on for a little more than 30,000 miles of stage 2 driving and still feels identical to when I had it installed at around 36,000 miles on the OEM PP and flywheel.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Has anyone run a TTRS PP and a SB stg 3 drop in?

Also interested in this. Have stage 3 drop in and want to look into getting better PP and flywheel since I'm planning on sitting around the 400wtq mark and would rather not have any slippage.