GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Pressure Warning Engine Off Issue

jorlay

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

One of my good friend's GTI (2013 @ 95k km) threw this warning last week as he was taking a right turn off of the highway. He told me he heard the beep and it told him low oil pressure! Engine Off!!! Before he was finished the turn the warning message went away and he doesn't recall the engine ever turning off. He's not a car guy so he thought everything was fine and just kept driving without pulling over to check the oil. It's never happened again since.
He DROVE his car in to get an oil change today and his mechanic said not too much oil came out.

This is probably going to be a stretch but is there any way to check if any damage was done? Perhaps a compression test? Anyway to check timing tensioner to see if it skipped a tooth or two?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
^ many people have gotten this light. comes up once. never returns. happened to me too. almost 3 years ago.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Very similar to what happened to me once. Turning right down an off ramp and in the middle of it, a turn I took all the time at this speed and never had an issue, I got the low oil pressure warning. The light turned back off in just a second or two. That was probably 40k miles ago and every things been fine since.

I would just check the oil level and watch everything carefully. It's likely it was nothing, but I'd still be careful for a little bit.

Although if "not much oil came out" and he was taking a turn like that while low on oil that would certainly cause the warning. Just stay on top of those oil levels for now imo.

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Not a good practice to get such a warning & to keep driving. Educate your friend. Most likely he is OK since he got the oil changed. Not much came out tells me he doesn't check his oil on a regular basis. Again educate him, if running low on oil continuously he'll shorten its life.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
He got that error because he had low oil, and that right turn moved the oil to one side of the engine temporarily causing low oil pressure, which set the sensor off.

This happened once to me as well, i had about 2.5 quarts of oil and a right hand turn set the sensor off. Your friend should check his oil regularly.

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Same thing happened to me once. A hard and fast right turn on a clover leaf and that message popped up. I was new to the car and didn't know about the oil consumption. I was just over 2 quarts low. Learned to check my oil more often, keep it topped off, and I have never had that light come back on.

zrickety

The Fixer
These guys are right, check the oil more often. Once per gas tank is a good idea. I would even overfill a little, half a quart maybe, if the car uses oil. Does he know if it's a leak or just burning off?

jorlay

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the help guys!

He'll be keeping an eye on the oil level from now on, just hope no damage was done.

These guys are right, check the oil more often. Once per gas tank is a good idea. I would even overfill a little, half a quart maybe, if the car uses oil. Does he know if it's a leak or just burning off?

I'm pretty sure it's burning oil, I went over to check his parking area and under the hood I don't really see any oil residue. He said his mechanic didn't find anything out of the ordinary under the car during his oil change (except for the low oil of course).

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the help guys!

He'll be keeping an eye on the oil level from now on, just hope no damage was done.

I'm pretty sure it's burning oil, I went over to check his parking area and under the hood I don't really see any oil residue. He said his mechanic didn't find anything out of the ordinary under the car during his oil change (except for the low oil of course).

As far as damage, if this is a one time occurrence it is doubtful anything really bad happened. If he/she lets their car run this low on oil regularly, bad things WILL happen. But for now, there is not sense going on a wild goose chase to locate a problem that likely isn't there. Just pay attention to the car and monitor it.

It likely isn't burning oil per se. It is most likely minor seepage from here or there and blow-by. Lots of folks have issues with the PCV failing and having the rear main seal go out. Most of us will have oil in our intake/charge pipes.