GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
heisenberg

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, 2010 Subaru wrx
Gti shopping!

I am new to this site and looking to get my first gti pretty soon and wanted some advice. Right now I have a 2010 wrx and I HATE it. I have found a few used models in my area, but just wanted to know if anyone has any info on stuff I should look for, and and if GPS and hid or worth the xtra cash.
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
I think HID's are worth it personally. I know certain years they packaged pieces differently. I believe on the 2011-2012, HIDs only come w/ nav & leather -- "Autobahn package". Aftermarket HID lamps look identical however, they do not move like the OEM ones do (around corners and height adjustable).

Check for mods on the GTI. If you find any, suspect a tune. You won't be able to tell if it had a tune from the outside unless you check the VIN w/ tuners (or drive it and feel a huge power difference).

Not sure what your stance is on mods or what mileage you're looking for, but I would be open to mods so long as they're tastefully done.
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
turbosnail
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GolfMK6
hid
navagation (smartphones are more accurate)

i came from a '10 evo x mr to a '10 gti dsg and enjoying the high class interior and the awesome gas mileage. i do miss the power but don't miss the punishment from the commute.
turbosnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
the gps is not great i would say, id rather use my iPhone, hids definetly. you can get convenience and sunroof and then install the hids afterwards
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
corrado917
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTI CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosnail View Post
hid
navagation (smartphones are more accurate)
Ding ding ding ding ding
Word.
I
A buch of goodies APRís K04 kit, NGK 8 plugs , Unitronic Intake, Eurojet DP, Magnaflow catback, APRís TCU tune, 034 Dogbone Mount Insert, S3 intercooler, Forge catch can, Modshack trim, AWE tuning IC hoses, Neuspeed K04 TOP & TDP, H&R Cup kit, Golf Rís skirts & side mirrors, Euro LED tails, GTD grill, H&R sways, Stern bar, Enkei RPF1 & some other stuff..Build
corrado917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Another downer is that in the 2011+ vehicles, the RNS310 = tiny ass screen. My cell phone has a bigger screen and nav. Total fail on that one.
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
MaliciousMK6
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Tornado Red 2Dr 6MT GTI
HIDs are a must, I wouldn't recommend the nav. I personally got it bc I liked the interface and it just happened to be in a car that had all the other options i wanted.

If your getting used get HIDs and just see what else is packages with it, if new then dont bother with nav its not that great and like others have said smart phones are more accurate.
MaliciousMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
littleazn248
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Audi SQ5/ F30 335i
Yes HID's are worth it. I know on the subbies they have projectors even with the halogens so you can run a cheap HID upgrade. With the mk6's however, you need a new housing. Even though you can add reps or the oem housing later you won't get AFS (steering headlights) easily. IMHO the current gen nav (rns315) sucks nav wise. The screen is small and the lack of map panning is just ridiculous. If I were you and didn't care about leather I would find a SunRoof and Nav GTI. Why sunroof and nav you ask b/c only those and the Autobahns come with Xenons. From there I would add in the Rns510 or ANS810 (Chinese Knockoff).
Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
doveer
Touring Car Champion

Drives: M235
Just wondering why you hate your WRX? You may be sad when you push your GTI and find that it doesn't get traction as easily as your WRX does.

Anyways, I say the HIDs are very important, I hate cars with halogens after driving my GTI with xenons for so long. It was the sole reason I got the sun/nav combo.
doveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
littleazn248
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by doveer View Post
Just wondering why you hate your WRX? You may be sad when you push your GTI and find that it doesn't get traction as easily as your WRX does.

Anyways, I say the HIDs are very important, I hate cars with halogens after driving my GTI with xenons for so long. It was the sole reason I got the sun/nav combo.
The interior of the mk6 duh

In all seriousness though OP if you're looking for performance the GTI and R won't be able to touch the 2010 widebodied WRX's. If its the interior not much I can say. I often regret not picking the wrx over my gti. The gti is a great daily driver but, that's it. In terms of fun to drive I'm pretty sure the wrx runs circles around it.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
heisenberg

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, 2010 Subaru wrx
I have just had tons of problems with my wrx. Yea I know it will out grip the gti but I want something nicer.. I dumped tons of cash in to it and have not been to happy with the power output and performance, that and the crappy service I get from the dealer just killed it for me.

That's for the heads up on the lights and navigation.
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
GS_GTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 14 Z51, 15 GT PP, 15 JKU Hard Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleazn248 View Post
The interior of the mk6 duh

In all seriousness though OP if you're looking for performance the GTI and R won't be able to touch the 2010 widebodied WRX's. If its the interior not much I can say. I often regret not picking the wrx over my gti. The gti is a great daily driver but, that's it. In terms of fun to drive I'm pretty sure the wrx runs circles around it.
^ Needs tune, then revisit this comment.
GS_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
littleazn248
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS_GTI View Post
^ Needs tune, then revisit this comment.
Ehh of course it would help heck k04 is even better. Problem is still lack of awd though. Even then you can bolt on power to any car. The difference is some cars such as the WRX were made to handle it while the GTI... not so much. This means off the line the k04 will be struggling to get grip. Throw the GTI into some corners and it would still be lacking with the additional power. Of course the R could be made into a killer machine given it's awd.

Don't get me wrong though the GTI is still fast in comparison to many cars out there. Based on what the OP has driven he might not be super happy in the performance dept.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
GS_GTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 14 Z51, 15 GT PP, 15 JKU Hard Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleazn248 View Post
Ehh of course it would help heck k04 is even better. Problem is still lack of awd though. Even then you can bolt on power to any car. The difference is some cars such as the WRX were made to handle it while the GTI... not so much. This means off the line the k04 will be struggling to get grip. Throw the GTI into some corners and it would still be lacking with the additional power. Of course the R could be made into a killer machine given it's awd.
Without the lightweight wheels my stage 2 GTI did fine off the line. When I went to the light wheels it was not as great off the line, even with Pilot Super Sports. However, most people seem to have roll-on fun in these cars. Also, a RSB transforms the handling of the car, I did an H&R 24mm on the medium setting and it was very good, and if you question my comparison, my other car pulls over 1G on the skidpad.

If you're looking to drag race both cars are not exactly great options.
GS_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote