GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whining noise from front passenger side

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
As of recently, seems like my '12 golf with 5sp and electric steering has developed a whining noise coming from what seems is the passenger side. In cabin it sounds almost electric but not as high pitched. It follows the rpms not driving speed, so it can be reproduced while in neutral and revving. Just had lower idler pulley replaced because it was wobbling a little bit. From outside the engine just sounds quite loud and it's not because of the exhaust. Anyone experience this before? Any tips are welcome and appreciated!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Maybe the compressor clutch or squeaky idler pulley bearing. My AC clutch makes noise. Always has. My TDI did as well. Maybe the new pulley is a making a new sound that you're just not used to hearing but is hopefully not a big deal.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Since the noise varies with engine RPM your best course of action is to buy a stethoscope with the rod extension from Harbor Freight, put the car on ramps and have someone rev engine while you touch the stethoscope rod to the pulley shafts etc. When you hit on the culprit it'll be obvious.

I changed all belts, pulleys and tensions all at once. It's a bit of a struggle sometimes in that area, so better to do it once.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for input. Have a scope but have not tried the bottom pulleys yet. Noise happens whether or not actually is on. Figure when it gets a little warmer out I could take off one belt at a time and see.