GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I buy a GTI (first vw)

Savagetoastness

:readthethread:
I've owned 37 cars and no I've never wrecked any of them, I mainly have subarus but am thinking about down sizing my car payment as it is currently 420 a month. If I buy this car I checked with my bank and would only be paying 260 so hmmmmm. Are these reliable good cars ?
Ok so I'm I'm thinking about getting my first VW
I'm looking at a 2010 GTI white 4dr, 6 spd auto, it has aprx 29k miles on it.
The car is $14,900

It's a one owner car with no accidents

Is there anything I need to know about With GTI's that I should be aware of?

Car seems to be in great shape no dings or scratches it appears someone has done a poor job on trying to powder coat the rims on it but other than that car is nice. It has a few scratches around the shifter boot which appears to normal for this car so I've read!

Let me see if I can post a link to the car
http://vdubs-only.v12soft.com/inven...-automatic,-2.0-Turbo,-SUPER-NICE!!-Dallas-TX

Last edited:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I would ask if the DSG service and carbon cleaning has been performed on that vehicle yet. If not, that service is what some consider to be fairly pricey.

On the older GTIs there were some issues with the timing belt tensioner and water pump. I think the intake manifold is another common problematic item. Granted, that is not to say that you will have problems with them, but that is what is commonly complained about on the various VW forums.

As for those rims, they look plasti-dipped versus powder coated. Finally, my suggestion would be to test drive the car, and see if you like it or not.

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!
:readthethread:
I've owned 37 cars and no I've never wrecked any of them, I mainly have subarus but am thinking about down sizing my car payment as it is currently 420 a month. If I buy this car I checked with my bank and would only be paying 260 so hmmmmm. Are these reliable good cars ?
Ok so I'm I'm thinking about getting my first VW
I'm looking at a 2010 GTI white 4dr, 6 spd auto, it has aprx 29k miles on it.
The car is $14,900

It's a one owner car with no accidents

Is there anything I need to know about With GTI's that I should be aware of?

Car seems to be in great shape no dings or scratches it appears someone has done a poor job on trying to powder coat the rims on it but other than that car is nice. It has a few scratches around the shifter boot which appears to normal for this car so I've read!

Let me see if I can post a link to the car
http://vdubs-only.v12soft.com/inven...-automatic,-2.0-Turbo,-SUPER-NICE!!-Dallas-TX

37 cars? Not sure any car is right for you

Savagetoastness

I would ask if the DSG service and carbon cleaning has been performed on that vehicle yet. If not, that service is what some consider to be fairly pricey.

On the older GTIs there were some issues with the timing belt tensioner and water pump. I think the intake manifold is another common problematic item. Granted, that is not to say that you will have problems with them, but that is what is commonly complained about on the various VW forums.

As for those rims, they look plasti-dipped verse. powder coated. Finally, my suggestion would be to test drive the car, and see if you like it or not.

What does this dsg service consist of? And carbon cleaning? What car requires pricey routine servicing at 29k miles? :23:

AXO

Go Kart Champion
Dayum that sounds like a screaming good deal at $14,900 for a 2010 with 29k miles. Does it have any options? I say go for it!

Savagetoastness

Fluid and filter. Pretty easy DIY if you have the tools. Might as well get them, because it is performed every 40k.

I apologize for my stupidity as I'm new to GTIs, :iono: Fluid and filter of what, I put 60k on an STi and just did normal oil and filter changes? And of course a few mods here and there.

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
I apologize for my stupidity as I'm new to GTIs, :iono: Fluid and filter of what, I put 60k on an STi and just did normal oil and filter changes? And of course a few mods here and there.

Sorry. You had asked what the DSG (6 speed "auto") service consisted of.

Sent from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Carbon cleaning at 29k miles? :laugh: just ask for service records if they have them and go from there. DSG (6 speed auto) is at 40k so it should not have been performed yet.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
37 cars? Not sure any car is right for you

While I haven't had quite as many cars, I am starting to think that no car is right for me. No matter what I end up with, I will focus on something I hate to the point where it will cause me to start looking for another car only to buy it and repeat the cycle over again. I really wish I could break that cycle and so does my wife!

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
While I haven't had quite as many cars, I am starting to think that no car is right for me. No matter what I end up with, I will focus on something I hate to the point where it will cause me to start looking for another car only to buy it and repeat the cycle over again. I really wish I could break that cycle and so does my wife!

Agreed. I'm picky, very picky. The GTI suits me perfectly though.