GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I went LSD first. It's a great mod. I don't believe I would've appreciated going KO4 as much if I did it first. There is literally 0 wheel spin when flooring it from a stop.

I thought you got voted in at the first meeting but apparently you get voted in at the 2nd meeting that you attend.

I'll definitely be there on 4/29.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Some before & after carbon cleaning photos courtesy of Greg @ Excelerate:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Ohhhh carbon cleaning. Looks good! I'm probably going to have that done near the end of summer/fall and slap on a catch can at the same time

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Well update.. the P1335 code is still coming back (occasionally) and throwing the car into limp mode. I replaced every hose clamp from the TOP to the TB, cleaned the MAF, and it's still coming back. Will be going over to SpeedSport tuning next week for a front end alignment and a pressure test to confirm no boost leaks (though I am confident there aren't any unless Excelerate missed a clamp by the turbo). My 1/2" NPT plug for my IE manifold came in from amazon so I deleted my front PCV using the ECS tuning plug they provided with the catch can. That should prevent that from blowing off again (hopefully)...

Also getting the P2261 code from my GFB--I may take the main spring out to prevent this or just swap back to my oem Rev D.

I also am getting a "too rich" code p2275...

Gotta love cars.

Ohhhh carbon cleaning. Looks good! I'm probably going to have that done near the end of summer/fall and slap on a catch can at the same time

Just whatever you do don't get the 034 can lol

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Took home 2nd out of 17 cars today at my first autocross! The car ran flawless up until my way home where it died on me again, but this time didn't throw any codes and the EPC light didn't come on but it basically did the same thing (total loss of accleration). Luckily turning the car off and on again worked.

Beat out a Cayman S, LS swapped RX7, a few BRZ's, miatas, some 350z/370z's, and subarus. Overall was a great day!

Tifore

Ready to race!
Took home 2nd out of 17 cars today at my first autocross! The car ran flawless up until my way home where it died on me again, but this time didn't throw any codes and the EPC light didn't come on but it basically did the same thing (total loss of accleration). Luckily turning the car off and on again worked.

Beat out a Cayman S, LS swapped RX7, a few BRZ's, miatas, some 350z/370z's, and subarus. Overall was a great day!

That’s awesome! Congrats dude.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Awesome job man! It was cool to finally meet you in person.

I'm only about 2 seconds behind you! I must catch up!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Swapped out my BKR7EIX's after ~20k miles. The gap was way out of spec (they widened from .026 to .036!) but were in pretty good shape otherwise. The new BKR8EIX's are in (thanks to Modded Euros) @ .026 per Alex's recommendations. Note that the BR8EIX's from Advanced Auto (NGK 5066) do NOT fit.

I also unwrapped my replacement Cobb downpipe. I'll be headed back down to XLR8 next week to have them weld in a new bung for my Innovate wideband.

Finally I ordered a Klii Motorwerks inlay for the rear trunk emblem, as well as some fancy new magnetic autocross decals! I'll be headed up to Thompson Speedway this Saturday for CART's first track day of the year. I offered to volunteer instead of race since I felt that the car isn't quite ready yet (plus volunteers get a voucher for a free autocross event)

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Is the wide band going to be used primarily for when you use ethanol? Is it supposed to be more accurate than using the accessport to measure air/fuel?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Is the wide band going to be used primarily for when you use ethanol? Is it supposed to be more accurate than using the accessport to measure air/fuel?

Yes and yes :thumbup:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
A few quick shots of Thompson this past weekend:

Had an absolute blast and the weather was literally perfect. Next autocross is this Sunday.

I also got my hands on an APR OPS kit! It was expensive, but now between that and the wortec pan I literally have nothing to worry about when it comes to proper lubrication at the track. The only downside is now the car will take 7 litres of oil instead of 5 (+1 from the pan, +1 from the accumulator).

zef

Drag Racing Champion
awesome, good call on the OPS kit. I'm going to end up piecing together an accusump as well which is basically the same thing. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the install.

My biggest ? with assembling my own kit was what to use for a pressure switch. And also remembering to turn it on and off. The fact that the OPS is totally hands-free is what made it so attractive to me.

zrickety

The Fixer
Awesome build man! I love the 2 door and the fact you take to the track. Keep up the good work.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Autocross #2 on the books, coming in 2nd again out of 14 cars, this time only .0029 behind a 370z nismo. This track was difficult as lots of very slow tight turns did not play well with the slower spooling KO4, forcing me to constantly shift between 1st and 2nd. My car was also "hopping" due to the softly sprung MSS springs.

https://youtu.be/eoDrERlpXxYhttps://youtu.be/eoDrERlpXxY

Recently uncovered a few oil leaks that I believe the extra power/stress of the KO4 is exacerbating that I am going to have taken care of. I believe the timing covers are leaking, and my cam cover is weeping as well. I also found a fresh oil leak coming from the turbo which is a little unsettling.

My rear seat delete finally came in the mail, and I am expecting my OPS to come in tomorrow. I picked up a new APR Intake and will be selling my IE intake since the APR OPS is only compatible with an intake that mounts to the grill (i.e. VWR/APR).

I am considering removing my wortec oil pan now that I have the OPS...though the extra oil capacity does help with temps, I am concerned about ground clearance since the pan does sit a good 5mm lower which didn't seem much on paper until I saw the car on the ground.

I also received my 3rd iteration from Stratified today. Hopefully this will resolve some of the lower RPM funkiness that I have been experiencing. Still idles like ass when it's cold, but Alex has assured me he's going to try his best to fix it.