GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k Service - Costs vs. DIY - Dealer vs. Indie - BS Meter goes to 11

Dun Dun

Ready to race!
Dealers are funny sometimes.

When i took my car in for the 1st service at 15000kms, i asked for tyres rotation and the dealer said they don't recommend that and had some funny bull shit reason. I just gave up listening and talking, just do watever u think you should do, i m jst here for the records as "serviced at dealers" for the new car. Then they rang later saying I should get the tyres replaced for prices that's doubled the market price at a tyre shop.

I guess they manage to rip a lot of ppl off that way... i'd picture a lot of less car minded people will just pay up and let them do watever they like.

yeah i've got about 4k left until i hit my 10k. should be interesting going in for my first ever dealer experience. :paddle:

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
The "fuel flush" your dealer is talking about is most likely a Fuel and Induction cleaning service. It's basically running the engine off a concentrated cleaner instead of the fuel tank. It cleans your injectors, valves, lines, etc. This is what everyone terrified of carbon buildup on their valves should be doing. Most dealers or aftermarket/performance shops will charge about the same price, $150. The companies that offer these products make all of the other flush machines and fluids (coolant, transmission, brake, etc), that's why the service consultant called it a "fuel flush". B&G is a popular one, and so is MOC.

All dealers and independent repair shops have their own recommended services, and they usually at least meet the OEM recommendations and then add a little something to make some money off.

I love reading automotive forums because everyone whines and bitches about dealers doing things to make money. Want to DIY? Go for it. Save money. Be proud.

tekka

Not having much free time, I took my car to the dealer for the 40k service.

- 3 filter elements (pollen filters?)
- screw (?)
- oil change
- air filter
- diesel oil conditioner
- diesel injector service (flush)
- battery pads
- window washer fluid (top off)
- tire rotation

$460.25 - ouch.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Not having much free time, I took my car to the dealer for the 40k service.

- 3 filter elements (pollen filters?)
- screw (?)
- oil change
- air filter
- diesel oil conditioner
- diesel injector service (flush)
- battery pads
- window washer fluid (top off)
- tire rotation

$460.25 - ouch.

Are you kidding me? What kind of flushes did they do?

All you need was an Oil change/Air Filter and Fuel filter. $460 :laugh:

As in the free time argument... how many hours do you have to work in order to make up $350? I bet its a lot MORE time than it would take to do this yourself.

THISFCKINGUY

Ready to race!
Great youll be fine then!

so replacing the fuel filter obviously needs to be done, but what about the flush or those of us that are DSG?

dcarony

Ready to race!
so replacing the fuel filter obviously needs to be done, but what about the flush or those of us that are DSG?

I do the DSG service at 40k so that the warranty upto 50k on the transmission stays in effect. After the warranty is up I don't do it.

nickp1

Ready to race!
I think a brake line flush is also do at 2 years or 40k whichever come first. Correct me if I am wrong.

nickp1

Ready to race!

aj_law

Go Kart Champion

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

kiyoshi147

Ready to race!
most of that dealer charge is the DSG change. Most dealers charge like 400-700 for a DSG change.

I went to a dealership for my 40k service ($600+ w/ DSG service i think it was). Never again will I pay that much, been doing my own services since 60k. Then I did my own DSG service(at 80k) for $200 with fluid, filter, and the fancy filling tube. when i hit 120k (spring-ish 2018) it'll be about $100 for the fluid and filter and about 2 hours of my life (also a really good time to do other stuff, because I have to pull the battery anyway).

yeah, dealerships are the worst.