GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interested in buying a 2013 GTI Autobahn. How does this price compare?

TauCephei

So back in May, I started my search for a new car. I have a few requirements that the car must have:

1. Four Doors
  2. Black leather interior
  3. Sunroof
  4. Heated seats
  5. Heated mirrors
  6. Around 30 mpg highway or better
  7. Manual transmission
I drive approximately 105 miles per day, 100 of those miles are highway miles, the other 5 are "55 mph" zone miles, so almost highway. I go through zero traffic lights on my 100+ mile round trip commute. So about 99% of the miles on this future car will be highway miles. Before you go and suggest a TDI, mileage is not that big of a factor for me. I'd rather have power, and 30 mpg is a good middle-ground compromise.

Anyway, I found it nearly impossible to find a car with this combination. I looked at Volvo, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, etc. Once you ask for a manual transmission, you might as well be asking for crank down windows -- because all those other options, heated seats, leather, sunroof, often disappear. I actually had several sales people give me an attitude about my refusal to consider an automatic.

So it came down to a used Saab 9-3 (the 2009 and newer are very nice), or a GLI/GTI. Having my last three cars been Saab, having never owned a new car, and the GLI being fake leather -- here I am, considering the 2013 GTI with these options:

• 2013 GTI Autobahn
  • 4-door + hatch
  • 6-speed Manual
  • White Ext
The dealer is only going down about $1,200 down from the sticker price. They refuse to move below $30,166 + tax/tags. Are VW margins really this awful to dealers? Am I being unreasonable? To me, this seems like a bad deal, and I'm going to shop around a bit more for pricing, although I don't think any other dealers around have the configuration I want in stock.

Or should I just wait for the Mk7? When will it be out, sometime in the summer/fall?

One last question, the dealer told me (and showed me on vw.com) that the 66 months 1.99% financing deal is only good through 1/2/13. Is VW likely to renew this deal? Because I can't see myself making a decision on a car in only a few days!

Last edited:

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Thats not a very good deal.

I paid 30 even for my 4dr DSG autobahn with monster mats and cargo organizer thing.

29 would be a solid number to shoot for.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

TauCephei

And what do you guys think about the Mk7? I like the slightly modified style of the Mk7, and it supposedly is slightly lighter and slightly more powerful. It will be out in Europe this spring, which means we will start seeing them this summer maybe?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
$1200 off sticker totally sucks. Especially on an Autobahn.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Audi A4 comes with all of your requirements standard except heated seats which are a $450 option, puts you at like $34k MSRP for a manual trans model and it's AWD with newer engine. Cadillac ATS fits the bill too, costs more but is more powerful and RWD.

If I had requirements like yours I'd be looking at stuff more like those or a Golf R, not a GTI but that might be just me. $30k seems like too much money to still be in a GTI.

jni3

Ready to race!
I'd research a little more for a better car price. Is this your first new car purchase?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
$30k seems like too much money to still be in a GTI.

True, but you get more options than some Audi's that cost $37K+, trust me, i know, lol...

TauCephei

Audi A4 comes with all of your requirements standard except heated seats which are a $450 option, puts you at like $34k MSRP for a manual trans model and it's AWD with newer engine. Cadillac ATS fits the bill too, costs more but is more powerful and RWD.

If I had requirements like yours I'd be looking at stuff more like those or a Golf R, not a GTI but that might be just me. $30k seems like too much money to still be in a GTI.

The Audi A4 doesn't come with Bluetooth, Xenon headlights, heated seats, and I don't think it has interior floor lighting either (not sure about that last one). Gotta pay extra for those and it ends up being $37k... $7k more than the GTI.

I'd research a little more for a better car price. Is this your first new car purchase?

Yes, always owned used cars via private party sale. Never financed a car before.

I'm reading some places that say the Mk7 won't be stateside until Q1 2014. Any truth to that? I'm willing to wait about 10 months to step into a new car, but 14 months might be pushing it.

TauCephei

I just read something that said the Mk7 has fake leather... can anyone confirm?

If true I will definitely be buying a 2013 GTI. Fake leather is not acceptable, IMO.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I just read something that said the Mk7 has fake leather... can anyone confirm?

If true I will definitely be buying a 2013 GTI. Fake leather is not acceptable, IMO.

Who cares? If you want the car now get it now, there is no way the Mk7 will be worse than the Mk6.

TauCephei

Who cares? If you want the car now get it now, there is no way the Mk7 will be worse than the Mk6.

I care. I want real leather, it's one of the most important points to me. The GLI's fake leather is what disqualified it from my search. If I'm spending over $30,000 OTD on a car that I'm going to be driving for the next decade, I want to get the options I will be happy with.

I don't need a car right now, I've been "new car shopping" since last April. If I got a new car tomorrow then that would be fantastic, but if I have to wait 12 months it's not an issue with me.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Only other thing that has all that at a cheaper price than GTI as far as I know is the Focus ST3 for like $28k MSRP

edit: I was wrong, turns out it is almost $30k MSRP with destination and sunroof. Still less than a GTI but not as much.

Last edited: