GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Things to know before purchasing a roof rack system?

Emkay1

I'm in the market for a Thule and overwhelmed by the variety of products they offer. It seems like I have two main options – newer Aeroblade or classic square bars. Give the Aeroblade are only $100 more, that's what I'm leaning towards.

My question is: What should I be aware of before purchasing a Thule roof rack system?

Are the Aeroblade bars really worth the extra cost? Do they sacrifice any sort of practicality (e.g. different adapters, reduced strength) over square bars?

Are there any negative day-to-day implications to be aware of? For example, I have a sunroof and have concerns that a roof rack may get in the way.

Sorry if this sounds like a laundry list of questions. My hope for this post is just to get some first-hand advice from Thule owners to assist in navigating my purchase. Advice that you would have liked to know when buying your own roof rack!

Thank you in advance.

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
I'm in the market for a Thule and overwhelmed by the variety of products they offer. It seems like I have two main options – newer Aeroblade or classic square bars. Give the Aeroblade are only $100 more, that's what I'm leaning towards.

My question is: What should I be aware of before purchasing a Thule roof rack system?

Are the Aeroblade bars really worth the extra cost? Do they sacrifice any sort of practicality (e.g. different adapters, reduced strength) over square bars?

Are there any negative day-to-day implications to be aware of? For example, I have a sunroof and have concerns that a roof rack may get in the way.

Sorry if this sounds like a laundry list of questions. My hope for this post is just to get some first-hand advice from Thule owners to assist in navigating my purchase. Advice that you would have liked to know when buying your own roof rack!

Thank you in advance.

Sunroof will not conflict with the bars. You will open it a lot less anyway, because ere is so much noise with the bars on.

The aero Thule bars are noisy too, but my wife's CRV's gas mileage is still pretty good with them on. Like the wider surface area, it's a t-bolt arrangement for many of the attachments, so if you have existing attachments you may need to modify your hardware.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I have Thule wingbars and they’re pretty quiet, my only issue with them is that the rear bar sits higher (or at least appears to) when in the correct position, putting the bar further back lowers it but then has it sitting at an angle compared to the front, i find that the foot packs are quite bulky too! For these reasons I’ve just purchased a set of genuine VW bars (made for VW by Thule) which to me are much more aesthetically pleasing! They sit level and have slim attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emkay1

I have Thule wingbars and they’re pretty quiet, my only issue with them is that the rear bar sits higher (or at least appears to) when in the correct position, putting the bar further back lowers it but then has it sitting at an angle compared to the front, i find that the foot packs are quite bulky too! For these reasons I’ve just purchased a set of genuine VW bars (made for VW by Thule) which to me are much more aesthetically pleasing! They sit level and have slim attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very logical suggestion to check out the OEM roof rack. Thanks, I’ll look into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk