GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Build-up at 26K Miles

Ethereal

Ready to race!
This is extremely common for a direct injected engine. The only real option is to get it cleaned either yourself or through a reputable shop. Catch cans do nothing to avoid this problem. I just recently ran meth/water injection in my car, which cleans the vavle head and manifold, completely eradicating carbon build up. Although i did do this early, my car only has 7k miles on it :D

In sum, the only mod to give you piece of mind is meth/water injection, my kit cost me 300 clams and is a stage 1 Snow performance kit . And once again CATCH CANS DO NOTHING FOR OUR ENGINES!

i bought it from BSH
http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore/

Won't meth make you run rich unless youre tuning for it?

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
This is very interesting, my car was in for some repairs where they needed to take off the intake manifold. Upon inspection the techs all commented that whatever fuel I using they suggested to keep buying it. They said that the manifold was immaculate and had no build up at 26,300 miles on the clock. I range from aggressive to very passive driving and always buy from mobil or hess gas stations.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
This is very interesting, my car was in for some repairs where they needed to take off the intake manifold. Upon inspection the techs all commented that whatever fuel I using they suggested to keep buying it. They said that the manifold was immaculate and had no build up at 26,300 miles on the clock. I range from aggressive to very passive driving and always buy from mobil or hess gas stations.

This issue seems to be very variable. Just like failing clutches.

Some people feel more aggressive driving helps (eg: Italian tune up) as it causes the valves to get hot enough to burn off carbon accumulation where fuel would otherwise not come in contact to wash them (because of the direct injection).

This has never been proven but there is even an article out there somewhere by VW itself that driving for 15 minutes at >3000 rpm every now and then may have some protective value in preventing carbon build up.

A nice blast on the highway every now and then can't hurt. I make a point of doing 4000 rpm for 15 minutes every several thousand kms. I don't know if it helps but I enjoy it.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion

ghotch

MKVI Owner
I'll keep you posted on what the dealer says. The more I look the more I think this is a problem with the engine that should be covered under warranty. I haven't seen anyone do this under 50K and most seem to say 100+K.

I had this problem around 42K miles and the dealer refused to cover it under powertrain. I filed a complaint with VWoA and they ended up covering the repair ($980). If they won't cover it, open up a case with VWoA. Its worth the fight.

haymest

Thanks for the input everyone. The dealer is taking a long time to get back to me. I wonder if they are haggling with VW?

BTW, the Longhorns might be the problem. Maybe they are making the car too cooooool to burn the gas properly.:thumbup:

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Dyno it, see if numbers are ok. 25k miles + excessive carbon buildup = bullshit.

I say they're just trying to get more money out of you. Go on a spirited drive or 2

haymest

The dealer went ahead and took care of it. I talked to the service tech and he said it actually wasn't so bad. I guess they were on autopilot and said, "there's carbon, it's $800." They said it was SOP to inspect the valves when they replace a manifold. I still never got an explanation about why it was going to cost $800 at that point. Anyway it's clean now and I have a new intake manifold. (And had my 30K service at the same time)

They recommended that I start treating with BG Gasoline Direct Injection Cleaner. According to the BG website:

"BG Gasoline Direct Injection Cleaner is a two-part chemical process formulated to quickly soften and disperse baked-on deposits which accumulate on the intake valves of direct-injected engines."

You pour one bottle into the gas and one bottle into the oil about every 5000-7000 miles. It's convenient that I can't seem to find it anywhere but from the dealer. They said it was about $40 (they apparently didn't have any in stock). Anyone tried this? Does it work? Can I get it somewhere where I don't have to pay dealer prices for it?

Thanks again for all of the input. Knowledge is power and I was able to make good use of the information I got here today.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah that seems a little too coincidental. If you can't find the BG stuff anywhere but the dealer...I'd just try to find something similar through someone else, don't give them the satisfaction.

McQueen77

Banned
so uh, riddle me this... how is this BG stuff supposed to work if you dump it into the gas tank since its a DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE??