GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Build-up at 26K Miles

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
They told him to add to oil too. That may be how. Sounds sorta like Marvel's. Used to use that in my previous cars. Haven't used it in he GTi though.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
so uh, riddle me this... how is this BG stuff supposed to work if you dump it into the gas tank since its a DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE??

Hard to argue with this statement.

BG also has an induction kit that they may have confused with the fuel additive. I don't know if that works either but it would seem to at least make more sense.

Additionally, just because a tech at the dealership recommended this doesn't make it real.

McQueen77

Banned
i guess in theory if its put into the crank case, the blow by will be BG additive infused and will magically burn the carbon off your valves??

this is probably what they are talking about but don't know. based on my experience with service techs at dealers, they sometimes no less than nothing..

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/fuelair.htm

McQueen77

Banned
just for the hell of it, heres a video some guy posted showing a used intake manifold from a 2009 TSI GTI motor w/15k miles on it. pretty filthy @ 15k miles.

allset

Go Kart Champion
i just had my intake mani and all 4 injectors replaced. from what he was able to see the tesch said the valves had some carbon build up but not bad. this was last week at 40K. They first did a fuel system service, Which is like an IV drip of cleaning solution into the intake mani which allows it to reach the valves. he said when he does this he gets black smoke out the exhaust which would suggest carbon burning off. They also put additives into the gas tank and i few other items i can remember.

There was a noticeable difference post fuel system service: smoother idle, stronger pulls, better overall performance. The new injectors went in and i had it for 3 days b4 they did the fuel service so i can tell it was that cleaning that made the difference.

This cant equal a real valve cleaning which its all removed and scrubbed but it did make a differece.

Skeptix

Ready to race!
The dealer went ahead and took care of it. I talked to the service tech and he said it actually wasn't so bad. I guess they were on autopilot and said, "there's carbon, it's $800." They said it was SOP to inspect the valves when they replace a manifold. I still never got an explanation about why it was going to cost $800 at that point. Anyway it's clean now and I have a new intake manifold. (And had my 30K service at the same time)

They recommended that I start treating with BG Gasoline Direct Injection Cleaner. According to the BG website:

"BG Gasoline Direct Injection Cleaner is a two-part chemical process formulated to quickly soften and disperse baked-on deposits which accumulate on the intake valves of direct-injected engines."

You pour one bottle into the gas and one bottle into the oil about every 5000-7000 miles. It's convenient that I can't seem to find it anywhere but from the dealer. They said it was about $40 (they apparently didn't have any in stock). Anyone tried this? Does it work? Can I get it somewhere where I don't have to pay dealer prices for it?

Thanks again for all of the input. Knowledge is power and I was able to make good use of the information I got here today.

I work in the parts department for a dealership. We use BG all the time in our big services and there's reason for it. It ain't that cheap either.

haymest

To clarify, they didn't say that it would solve the problem but only delay it. They also said they got cars that needed valve cleaning in as early as 60K miles. They never really clarified why they felt compelled to do a full cleaning on mine at 26K miles when it really wasn't that bad. I may give this BG stuff a shot. If it puts off an $800 service for a year at $40 every six months, it might be worth it. I'm a big fan of preventative medicine.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
http://bgtechnical.blogspot.com/2012/05/gasoline-direct-injection.html

This is link explains DI and related carbon problems. At the 40 minute mark, the person discusses the BG 271-272 cleaning service. (At 45 minutes he summarizes.) He was very clear on two things.

1. The carbon build up is directly related to PCV oil.
2. The BG DI cleaning service requires that you remove the intake manifold while HOT, soak the valves with one solution and rinse the valves with the other solution. BG also provides a “tool” to scrape the valves.

Based on the information I’ve gathered, this is the BG procedure related to the before and after pictures of dirty and then clean valves. I could be wrong, but it appears the other BG products that one adds to the gasoline and oil are NOT related to this cleaning process.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
http://bgtechnical.blogspot.com/2012/05/gasoline-direct-injection.html

This is link explains DI and related carbon problems. At the 40 minute mark, the person discusses the BG 271-272 cleaning service. (At 45 minutes he summarizes.) He was very clear on two things.

1. The carbon build up is directly related to PCV oil.
2. The BG DI cleaning service requires that you remove the intake manifold while HOT, soak the valves with one solution and rinse the valves with the other solution. BG also provides a “tool” to scrape the valves.

Based on the information I’ve gathered, this is the BG procedure related to the before and after pictures of dirty and then clean valves. I could be wrong, but it appears the other BG products that one adds to the gasoline and oil are NOT related to this cleaning process.

I believe you are correct. That's what BG calls their 'induction cleaning'. It cost somewhere around $150.

I don't know if there is a lot of evidence to support its effectiveness. But at least it makes some sense.

The oil and fuel additives that VW techs are talking about make substantially less sense, to me at least.

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
I've seen it bad at 10,000 miles

McQueen77

Banned
thread=bummer

they mentioned this to me too about the fuel i.v. drip thing. the bummer is that one of the service dept. guys at the dealer who told me this seems like such a dipshit who knows way less about my car than I, that it gaves me zero confidence in paying for this service. maybe if the dealers starting hiring service reps that know about the cars, it would be different.

there is an indie vw/audi mechanic i want to try for my 40k. im doing the oil change, new plugs, fuel filter etc myself but want to see if, in addition to just a multi point inspection and tire rotation what they think about doing the service. get the thoughts of some former audi master techs on the issue as opposed the vw service reps who just seem to spew VW corporate speak about maintenance recommendations..

Nevadabob

Hello all,
If anybody has any questions I am more than happy to answer and clarify for anyone that emails. You can email me from the blog that Baldeagle provided. I have worked on the FSI 2.0 issue in depth as a technical advisor for BG and 7 years with Audi helps with that.

P

plac

i loved that BG stuff back in the 90's. Used it on all my cars. And my first private shop I worked at starting at age 15 used it exclusively.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
An extremely informative webinar at The link provided by Bald-eagle.

Seems like there is more maintenance required than a 10K oil change.