GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

valve cover gasket leak...?

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Has this worked with people who has had the oily water pooling on top?

I am going to tightening the 5 side bolts (or at least the ones that are accessible to me) to see if this helps.

I didn't tighten the 5 side bolts, but I stopped getting this issue.

I replaced my PCV and the day after, I had that oily water, but after that, it's dry. Strange.

Also reduced my oil consumption to around... well, nothing. Used to burn around 1 quart per 8000 km, then got really bad this winter when it was 1 quart per 1000 km :)yikes:). Now it's probably going to burn around half a quart per 8000 km by the looks of it, which is pretty good in my opinion.

RyanMK6

I have this leak. I've been waiting though. I noticed some oil on my spark plugs and coil in cyl 2 and tiny bit in 3 IIRC. I have an extended warranty. But I don't wana open up a can of worms pulling shit apart. I also should probably get a carbon cleaning. I'm at around 65k and never had one done.

Logan176

It appears as though every pic previously posted looks exactly like what I see under my hood. I have a stock 2012 with 72k miles. Timing chain tensioner and intake manifold both failed and were replaced under CPO warranty at 50k. While everything was opened up, I also had the dealership clean the valves. No noises coming from the PCV, but leaks are evident.

There may have been some oil coming from the fill cover, so I cleaned that off well. There has not been any major leakage for the past 500 miles.

I was thinking about replacing the PCV valve and the o-ring on the sensor on my own and then watching things for a bit But based on the pics below, should I just have the dealership replace the valve cover gasket since they will have to take off the PCV valve anyway?

Attachments

• IMG_6039.JPG
    IMG_6039.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_6040.JPG
    IMG_6040.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_6078.JPG
    IMG_6078.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_6079.JPG
    IMG_6079.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_6082.JPG
    IMG_6082.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_6083.JPG
    IMG_6083.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 355

MKVI_noizsky

Ready to race!
resealed my valve cover with vw green sealant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryButamore

Bright my car in today for an oil leak. Turns out it’s coming from the back of the valve cover. The service manager suggested that I could probably pull it off, clean it, and reseal it myself. I haven’t found any write ups or videos on it though. Is it pretty straight forward? Does the timing cover have to come off as well?