GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 Tsi (CAXA 122 HP) hesitating on acceleration

Krueger

Hi!

I own a 2010 Golf with a mere 75,000 km (~46,600 miles) on the clock with the turbocharged 1.4 liter engine. Bought it when it had run about 50,000 km and it has worked perfectly since.

A few weeks ago however I started experiencing some slight hesitation from the engine during acceleration under certain circumstances. I only noticed it between 1.5-2 k RPM and 3-3.5 k RPM. The sensation was as if I would be varying the throttle input at a constant rate even though I held it still and this would happen even on part throttle, around 50% on the pedal. As soon at it reached a magic threshold around 3-3.5 k however it started running really smooth, WOT or not.

Started suspecting the spark plugs as they had never been changed from what I could see from the service records, thinking that maybe there was an occasional misfire. Changing them had no effect however, the engine still behaved the same way.

Using a cheap OBD scanner I checked for fault codes - there were none and no logged ones either. I've also confirmed this with VCDS. Tried running some graphs while driving to see if the readouts seemed weird. The boost pressure and the engine load graphs both jump up and down a bit during acceleration as I feel the car hesitate. Also out of curiosity I checked the position of the throttle body and that reading too was jumping up and down during acceleration (though not above 3.5 k). I.e. the throttle is opening and closing slightly with a constant pedal input during acceleration rather than staying at the same position.

When applying gas the reading for the throttle position initially increases to match the pedal input as expected, then it dips down to about half the initial value, then it proceeds to fluctuate at a pretty constant rate, causing the uneven acceleration. It makes no difference if I am at part throttle or WOT. If I attempt the same thing in 2nd gear starting at 3 k however, the reading goes right up to its maximum value and remains there and everything feels as it should.

Any suggestions what could be causing this?

blower

Ready to race!
A common fault on the CAXA engines is the turbo actuator sticking, this will cause hesitation, boost fluctuations etc.

Sometimes you can read fault codes with VCDS for under or over boost conditions...these don't put the EML light on, but will be logged.

To fix you either replace the turbo (thats VW's fix), try and fit a new actuator to it...or sometimes you can just free it up with some WD40 or better, lithium spray grease and work the rod by hand to loosen it up

Krueger

A common fault on the CAXA engines is the turbo actuator sticking, this will cause hesitation, boost fluctuations etc.

Sometimes you can read fault codes with VCDS for under or over boost conditions...these don't put the EML light on, but will be logged.

To fix you either replace the turbo (thats VW's fix), try and fit a new actuator to it...or sometimes you can just free it up with some WD40 or better, lithium spray grease and work the rod by hand to loosen it up

Are you referring to the N75 valve or the wastegate sticking? Why would a sticking actuator make the throttle body open and close? Is the ECU trying to compensate somehow?

What I find interesting is that as soon as I reach 3-3.5 k the problem goes away, which is also confirmed by checking the boost and throttle position values. Is the engine somehow operating differently up until that point?

blower

Ready to race!
Are you referring to the N75 valve or the wastegate sticking? Why would a sticking actuator make the throttle body open and close? Is the ECU trying to compensate somehow?

What I find interesting is that as soon as I reach 3-3.5 k the problem goes away, which is also confirmed by checking the boost and throttle position values. Is the engine somehow operating differently up until that point?

I'm referring to the vacuum controlled wastegate actuator on the turbo, it's a common fault on CAXA engines for the rod to stick as the turbo ages.

Under an overboost condition the ECU will try to regulate via the throttle body - it has a target boost pressure and it has a map for the N75 valve to achieve that via the turbo wastegate actuator, if it doesn't get what it expects then it will start to regulate via the throttle body.

It may not be this, just its a common fault and it does fit your symptoms.

Krueger

I'm referring to the vacuum controlled wastegate actuator on the turbo, it's a common fault on CAXA engines for the rod to stick as the turbo ages.

Under an overboost condition the ECU will try to regulate via the throttle body - it has a target boost pressure and it has a map for the N75 valve to achieve that via the turbo wastegate actuator, if it doesn't get what it expects then it will start to regulate via the throttle body.

Interesting, I will have a look at that. I did notice the boost pressure reading 10.4 psi at one point, which seems a bit high for a stock engine? I haven't actually found a specification of the intended boost this engine should run though.

Krueger

Checked the wastegate actuator, the flap didn't seem sticky and it sprung back to its intended position every time I pushed it. Starting to think it might be the N75 valve jerking back and forth? It feels like the initial boost comes on hard while accelerating, then it backs off and overcompensates and then just flicks back and forth until about 3.5 k.

People with the twincharged engine seem to describe a loss of boost around 3.5 k when the turbo is supposed to take over; in my case it's about the opposite. When I reach 3.5 k I have a steady boost pressure, below that it fluctuates and the car accelerates unevenly.

Peter0720

Hi
Checked the wastegate actuator, the flap didn't seem sticky and it sprung back to its intended position every time I pushed it. Starting to think it might be the N75 valve jerking back and forth? It feels like the initial boost comes on hard while accelerating, then it backs off and overcompensates and then just flicks back and forth until about 3.5 k.

People with the twincharged engine seem to describe a loss of boost around 3.5 k when the turbo is supposed to take over; in my case it's about the opposite. When I reach 3.5 k I have a steady boost pressure, below that it fluctuates and the car accelerates unevenly.

Hi Krueger, Did you find out the cause of this problem? What did you do in the end to fix it?

I have the same problem with the 1.4Tsi CAXA engine. Any experience yourself or anyone else can share would be greatly appreciated.

MCC

Hi

Hi Krueger, Did you find out the cause of this problem? What did you do in the end to fix it?

I have the same problem with the 1.4Tsi CAXA engine. Any experience yourself or anyone else can share would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
i have the same problem with my 1.4 Tsi CAXA engine, i have tried to change my fuel pump, High pressure pump, plugs, coils, fuel pump module sensor but nothing still, Engine check still on, now am thinking of changing my mass airflow sensor. If you managed to sort this problem please help

alistercole

Hi Krueger or MCC or Peter0720,

The description of your post is identical to the issue that I am encountering at the moment with my 2013 Tiguan 1.4 CTHD.
I not have any engine check light displaying or any VCDS errors showing, however, I am experiencing the same hesitation while accelerating.

In addition to what is written above, I have noticed over the last few months (before this hesitation issue) that when I accelerate I could hear a squeaking sound. It sounds like an arm of an actuator or throttle of some kind.

Would really appreciate it if you could let me know if/how you managed to sort our your issue.

Cheers