GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heated Seats - increase heat output with VAGCOM?

doublevanosrc

Feeding My Fast daily
My heated seats work good but not great, I had a BMW and those things got hot in a couple of minutes when switched on max. I've always found heated seats in VWs sort of "weak", especially when compared to other cars.

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
I'll post up details later today at work. I can't pull up the TSB's on my Mac.

danrazzaqi

Ready to race!
My brothers seates have the same issue. He has a 2012 gli with the leather seats. My gti however with cloth seats heat up in minutes. Literally and on level 3 are on the verge of being to hot! Lol but when its 20 degrees out, im not complaining

FNR32

Ready to race!
In my MK4 R32 the seats got warm quicker and they were much warmer than in my MK6.

Kyle Butler

Ready to race!
mine work fantastic, to the point that i do have to turn them down to 1 or 2 after a few minutes.

I have leather and trust me, it gets way colder up here than it does in Toronto. Id certainly follow the other posts here stating to try the passenger side. My GF is always saying how much she loves my warmers and how much hotter they get compared to her new accord. you may have a flukey element

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Anyone mention that you have to load the engine to get the seats to warm up? The GTI will do this with the A/C and seat heaters. They'll get warm pretty fast if the engine is warming up and you're putting some load on it, like accelerating or cruising at 45mph+.

JT641

Banned
I recently had the leather covers on the drivers seat replaced on my 2012 GTI under warranty & now the bottom seat cushion barely gets luke warm on level 3, Where as before it would be roasting my butt after 10 to 15 minutes of driving. The tech says there laser thermometer reading is within spec? But I'm like they're not functioning like they were before so something's up!!

Vroomer

Banned
My leather seats are the same way, its takes at least 5 minutes for me to feel much of anything. I had a golf 2.5 MK6 for a year or so before GTI and it would warm up instantly, so I just assumed it was the GTI thing.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Anyone mention that you have to load the engine to get the seats to warm up? The GTI will do this with the A/C and seat heaters. They'll get warm pretty fast if the engine is warming up and you're putting some load on it, like accelerating or cruising at 45mph+.

Not my Golf R. It can be sitting there, idling, and the seats warm up very fast, just as fast as if I'm driving 45+

My leather seats are the same way, its takes at least 5 minutes for me to feel much of anything. I had a golf 2.5 MK6 for a year or so before GTI and it would warm up instantly, so I just assumed it was the GTI thing.

Mine warm up instantly. And they will almost burn me on the highest setting. I have to turn them down to 1 eventually.

Hope the OP or the OP's dealer figured it out, because his seats were not functioning properly. That was November, hopefully by now it's fixed.

JT641

Banned
It's one of the main reasons why I chose the GTI over other cars.

It's easier & better to warm up your body using direct heat (heated seat or heating pad) opposed to a heater.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Mine turns on instantly and works fine. OP....could be that I have cloth and yours is leather???

busandcamper

I had cloth heated seats in my mk5 and they worked great, about 1-2 minutes into the journey and you feel them working. Wow they were good - so much so i looked for heated seats on used mk6's before i bought a mk6. Rare fitted option in the UK.

Eventually found a mk6 with leather, a gt model. But my mk6 leather heated seats take a lot longer to get hot - like a good 5-10 minutes to feel anything. Very much different.

On the heating element i would expect to see some sort of controller to be able to vary the heating. A pulse width modulation of some sort, which would suggest there may be an adjustment somewhere.

To check the pwm output a dvm may actually work. Closer to full battery voltage on max heat would suggest the controller is putting all the power it can deliver to the heating elements.

Perhaps VW had law suits about mk4/5 so they made them less powerful on mk6?

In a similar subject - I tried to get the memory to work on the seats to remember the last setting, but my module does not update via VCDS. My mk6 is an early 2009 UK model.

eightyseven

Ready to race!
All i know is when i first got my gti i swear i smoked my ass, it smelt like burned dirty pants in my car hahahah i was shocked at how heated they get... either way, have those bad girls checked out.