GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
Gotta install my AST 4100 coilovers I bought from a forum member and get some 200tw tires.. I will be back...

Will be going to Big Willow June 2nd for any of you socal guys

Eowyn89

VAG-COM question - up until today I didn't know that my car had XDS (I'm the second owner so I didn't have any of the marketing materials that explained all the features my car has). A buddy of mine was helping me out with some other VAG-COM stuff and switched off XDS after we discussed it. While it made sense to deactivate it since I have a mechanical LSD (Peloquin) installed, I just want to make sure I haven't done something stupid that may kill me next time on the track! :D

P.S. What VAG-COM tweaks, if any, have y'all done for track use?
P.P.S. I did go for a quick spirited drive and took a few familiar curves at a pretty good clip and I didn't die so I consider that a win! :D

Last edited:

acro

A few quick question to ask you guys. What oil temperatures do you guys run when you are at the track?

Also do you guys run aftermarket engine mounts and dogbones. I am wondering if they make a difference or if i should just leave it stock.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
A few quick question to ask you guys. What oil temperatures do you guys run when you are at the track?

Also do you guys run aftermarket engine mounts and dogbones. I am wondering if they make a difference or if i should just leave it stock.

I wish I could answer the oil temp question, but I don't have an oil temp sensor installed. It's on my list of things to do, but I'd like to interface with the ECU so I can log it on my lap timer.

I will say that my coolant temps are typically around the 210-215 range, depending on the track and ambient air temps. Water/coolant mix ratio can have a large impact on heat dissipation, so it's something to look at. I run a 2/1 ratio of water to G13 coolant, which still gives me a -18 degree frost protection, but much improved cooling over a 1/1 mix.

I still run stock mounts. I've contemplated running a stiffer bushing for the dogbone, but don't want to introduce NVH since I daily the car. People say it decreases wheel hop. With my LSD, I really don't experience wheel hop though. ;)

Brendon

Ready to race!

Head to pit out at 180 F and oil is close over 200 during the outlap.

I am running a 034 Motorsports insert on the R and an insert on the GTI as well.

acro

On the street my coolant temp is normally pegged at 194F it may briefly go up to 212F.

The oil temperature on the street goes up to 260 (highest 275) so i am a bit worried about carrying the car to the track

ambient temp is 90 F

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
On the street my coolant temp is normally pegged at 194F it may briefly go up to 212F.

The oil temperature on the street goes up to 260 (highest 275) so i am a bit worried about carrying the car to the track

ambient temp is 90 F

Like I mentioned, I would definitely check your water / coolant mixture ratio. That can have a large impact on heat dissipation. Also, what oil are you running?

acro

i am not sure what the water/coolant mixture is. How would i check?

The car was carried to the dealer recently i did not ask what oil they used. I guess genuine VAG oil :iono:

Sorry to be such a noob. I guess i put too much faith in the dealer

Eowyn89

So I was able to pick up a set of new H&R anti-sway bars (26/24) from a Facebook group. Now I am considering also adding front and rear subframe kits while I am having the anti-sway bars installed. Are there any NVH concerns with the subframe kits? This car is my daily driver and part-time track car so I don't want too harsh of a ride.

Thanks!

~Steve

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

The car was carried to the dealer recently i did not ask what oil they used. I guess genuine VAG oil :iono:

There's no good way to check after it's in the car. I guess you could take a sample and send it out somewhere but it's probably a lot less hassle to just drain the coolant, mix your own and fill with the mix that you did yourself. I run mostly water + water wetter for track days. I do add about 20% g13 coolant for it's lubricating properties.

So I was able to pick up a set of new H&R anti-sway bars (26/24) from a Facebook group. Now I am considering also adding front and rear subframe kits while I am having the anti-sway bars installed. Are there any NVH concerns with the subframe kits? This car is my daily driver and part-time track car so I don't want too harsh of a ride.

Thanks!

~Steve
There's no nvh added from the subframe kits. They make the car feel much more put together and stop a lot of the clunks.

Eowyn89

There's no nvh added from the subframe kits. They make the car feel much more put together and stop a lot of the clunks.

Thanks!

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

You can use a refractometer to measure your coolant mix frost rating. I use this one from Amazon.

Or you could just drain your existing coolant and mix up fresh coolant to replace it.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Looking for fire extinguisher mount options without breaking the bank. Pics of setups ? diy or whatever.

Anyone have a passenger side footwell/console mount as seen here?

Other things im looking into..custom brake ducts. Is removing fog lights a thing on these cars to make ducting?

Thanks ya'll! :thumbsup:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Rennline makes a nice extinguisher kit
removing fog lights may be a thing indeed