GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 04-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
drodrigues09
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 TR GTI 6MT
Wtf is happening to my rim!?!?

I honestly have no idea what is going on with this. Its only on 1 rim but its such an eye sore.

Ive read that these rimes are finished with a clear coat. Could it be that the clear coat is peeling? And for some reason this rim is not as shiny as all the other ones no matter what i try. Ive used wax, compound, polish and nothing makes the rim shine.

'12 GTI TR 2DR 6MT | RED Interior LED Footwell & Dome Lights | DeAutokey License Plate LED | Euro Switch | OEM Euro LED Tails | DeAutokey LED Reverse Light (NEW VERSION) | LED Parking Light | Disabled DRL | GTI Seat Lever Inserts | Debadged | Rear Emblem Color Matched Vinyl Insert | Suitcase Muffler Delete | BMW Clutch Stop | Continental DWS | Unitronic CAI
drodrigues09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
(. )( .)
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Slow
the sad reality of wear and tear
Old 04-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
myMK6fool
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI CSG 6MT
Honestly I would plastidip them at this point. https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-cat/ Real easy and have a ton of great color possibilities these days. Just a suggestion. Sorry - this totally sucks.

SPM TBE Setup: Downpipe > Street Cat > Track J Pipe (non-resonated) > Street Mid-pipe (muffler) > Track Axleback (no mufflers)
myMK6fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
drodrigues09
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by (. )( .) View Post
the sad reality of wear and tear
Doesnt make sense why its just 1 rim though you get me. All the other ones have a nice shine and this one is just horrible.
'12 GTI TR 2DR 6MT | RED Interior LED Footwell & Dome Lights | DeAutokey License Plate LED | Euro Switch | OEM Euro LED Tails | DeAutokey LED Reverse Light (NEW VERSION) | LED Parking Light | Disabled DRL | GTI Seat Lever Inserts | Debadged | Rear Emblem Color Matched Vinyl Insert | Suitcase Muffler Delete | BMW Clutch Stop | Continental DWS | Unitronic CAI
Old 04-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
plat
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2016 Audi S5
Are you the first owner of your GTI? If it is only happening to 1 rim, I suspect that it may been repaired/painted over. It certainly looks like it. My rims are still factory original and I am the only owner of my GTI. They still look great. No peeling paint or anything like that happening to them.
plat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
drodrigues09
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMK6fool View Post
Honestly I would plastidip them at this point. https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-cat/ Real easy and have a ton of great color possibilities these days. Just a suggestion. Sorry - this totally sucks.
I love this look though i honestly didnt want to plasti dip them at all. I bought the car when it wasnt even that bad like the size of a dime but its gotten worse and in different areas
Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
myMK6fool
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI CSG 6MT
You can always hit up a dealership to see if they have any spare that they may have removed from another car. Sometimes they will sell them.

SPM TBE Setup: Downpipe > Street Cat > Track J Pipe (non-resonated) > Street Mid-pipe (muffler) > Track Axleback (no mufflers)
myMK6fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
rasetsu
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, 2014 RS 5, 2005 STi
Typical of a not properly refinished wheel after exposure to the elements.
rasetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
drodrigues09
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by plat View Post
Are you the first owner of your GTI? If it is only happening to 1 rim, I suspect that it may been repaired/painted over. It certainly looks like it. My rims are still factory original and I am the only owner of my GTI. They still look great. No peeling paint or anything like that happening to them.
I am the second owner. I honestly dont know what it is but it is a possibility they tried painting or doing something to it and noticed it came out bad and didnt wanna continue
Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
drodrigues09
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMK6fool View Post
You can always hit up a dealership to see if they have any spare that they may have removed from another car. Sometimes they will sell them.
Yeaa thats my last resort i guess. I wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue. Ill call up my dealer and see how many limbs they charge me for one that might be lying around lol
Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
drodrigues09
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasetsu View Post
Typical of a not properly refinished wheel after exposure to the elements.
Think it might have tried to be refinished once already?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #12
steemax
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX Stage 2 ProTune
looks like the clear coat is coming off... I'd just try sanding/wet sanding it and re-applying some clear... but that's just me and I'm a daredevil like that
Instagram: Steamax
steemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
drodrigues09
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by steemax View Post
looks like the clear coat is coming off... I'd just try sanding/wet sanding it and re-applying some clear... but that's just me and I'm a daredevil like that
Sounds so easy but i feel i would just make it worse : / . Like even the black part thats supposed to be glossy is dull. Ive hit it with compound and polish and it did nothing
Old 04-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #14
sniper27
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI DE
time to get new, lighter wheels.
sniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote