GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Allergy sufferer's, question!

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
What kind of nose spray are we talkin' bout here? Anything like Afrin, I'm already one, and shouldn't be on..>_<

Thanks Kurt, please update me with that! How long did it take before you saw a difference in symptoms?

Almost over night.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Talk to your doctor and get on the Zyrtec and Flonase regimen; the two work amazingly well together and you won't have to do weekly shots.

j2z1

Ready to race!
Its probably your diet. These chemicals do more harm then help. Also try saline wash. I used to have bad allergies. Now I sneeze twice a month if that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
just found out yesterday from the doc that i might have eye allergies in my left eye only? WHAT THE FUCK MAN.

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
So by definiton, allergies are just inflammatory responses your body generates to pathogens they deem "foreign". When you get allergic responses, all the congestion and watery eyes and sneezing and such are your bodies way of ridding you of this pathogen. Sneezing and watery eyes are largely mechanical but congestion is chemical. Mast cells release histamine when they are called to the sites of "infection", creating that inflammatory congestion and misery.

That being said, anti-histamine a like Benadryl are probably your best bets. Yes, they can make you tired as all hell so you have to be careful with it. Claritin, from experience, is awful. Supposed to be preventative but does not help at all. For immediate relief, a strong antihistamine will help, followed by a preventative drug like Zyrtec. Nasal spray also has a good benefit for immediate relief but you you already know the risks of it.

I saw someone mention neti pots....no. These are risks that outlay the benefits. They harbor infection and give other pathogens another opportunity to set up in places they don't need to be.

Just my $.02

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Flonase
Zyrtec

has helped me a lot.

Thanks balls - I actually forgot about flonase! Good idea.

Stay away from Benedryl and some of the older allergy medications. They will make you drowsy as hell.

It's like melatonin for me.

Generic for Allegra works well for me but mine is definitely seasonal pollen/mold.

Those netti pots are an...interesting experience but they do work to flush you out before bed and such.

I've tried the real Allegra back in the day, didn't really work, maybe they've changed up the formula?

dust allergy is only fixed 95% when you have hardwood floors everywhere. no carpet. well for me it was. With carpet; I would wake up to 50 sneezes back to back.. Now its very very very minimal. maybe once or two times a week , I sneeze 3-4 times.

Just moved into a new house, most of the ground level is tiled, so that's nice. Only thing that isn't is the living room and our bedroom, I planned on buying a roomba so I can keep it as allergin free as I can 24/7!

Instead of a steroid spray try using a saline nose spray for a more natural way of getting the allergens out of your nose.

Not a bad idea, I usually use a netti pot for this though, but saline could be used while at work...Which I desperately needed yesterday!

I'm in the second year of allergy shots and it takes 20min and your out of there. My Dr stays late one night a week as well. You can't work something out with the doc? It's the best thing I ever did.

Nasonex worked very well for me on my indoor allergies combined with Zyrtec.

Yeah, our FMLA is like, unless you're dead, or dieing, you need to be at work. The doc stays open late on Thursdays, but they're pretty far from where I work, I speculate I wouldn't make it there in time unless they stayed late just for lil ol me...Who knows, maybe I can my FMLA approved after pulling some teeth...Nasonex is a good idea, isn't that mostly for pollen allergies though?

Tylenol Severe Allergy......works for me. I've tried Claritin but didn't do anything but wasted money.

Interesting, never seen that before, I'll have to try it out. TY!

Allergy shots eventually helped my little girl's allergies work down to nothing. Still waiting to see if they work for my son.

As noted, benadryl can make you super drowsy, so try it but don't plan on driving anywhere after. I took Claritin for a few years and it worked at first, but eventually didn't help much. Good thing it's over the counter and you can buy generics in bulk at Costco if it seems to work for you.

Several years ago I started taking Singulair because my allergies started making my asthma flare up. Singulair has worked AWESOME for me. I rarely have any allergy flare ups and haven't experienced any side effects.

Singulair...that's OTC right?

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Talk to your doctor and get on the Zyrtec and Flonase regimen; the two work amazingly well together and you won't have to do weekly shots.

Doc didn't even offer that, just went straight to the shots last time I was in

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Hmmm, you may just be too allergic for it to work in his opinion; may not be an option for you :(

Shini

Go Kart Champion
So by definiton, allergies are just inflammatory responses your body generates to pathogens they deem "foreign". When you get allergic responses, all the congestion and watery eyes and sneezing and such are your bodies way of ridding you of this pathogen. Sneezing and watery eyes are largely mechanical but congestion is chemical. Mast cells release histamine when they are called to the sites of "infection", creating that inflammatory congestion and misery.

That being said, anti-histamine a like Benadryl are probably your best bets. Yes, they can make you tired as all hell so you have to be careful with it. Claritin, from experience, is awful. Supposed to be preventative but does not help at all. For immediate relief, a strong antihistamine will help, followed by a preventative drug like Zyrtec. Nasal spray also has a good benefit for immediate relief but you you already know the risks of it.

I saw someone mention neti pots....no. These are risks that outlay the benefits. They harbor infection and give other pathogens another opportunity to set up in places they don't need to be.

Just my $.02

I guess I could try to larger dose of Antihistamine. You're right about the netti pot stuff, you take a large risk by doing it. I only use store bought distilled water for it, and I clean it regularly just to be as safe as I can.

I think I'll be taking a trip to the drug store today, pick up a strong Antihistimine and a good non-habit forming preventative nasal spray like Flonase or something..

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm, you may just be too allergic for it to work in his opinion; may not be an option for you :(

Yeah man, I'm like, off the charts allergic apparently...Not really, I think on a scale of 5 I was a 4 on both grass and dust?

Doc suggested if I'm outside longer than 15 minutes I should shower and change clothes as soon as I can, I'm like, dafuq, my skin isn't the one having the allergic reactions it's my nose brah.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Why would you have to take a whole day off from work to get allergy shots? Shouldn't take more than an hour or two max.

I was allergic to pollen, dust, animal fur, etc. and was starting to develop asthma. I began taking allergy shots and after 5 years I wanted to see what happened if I stopped going. Haven't been back in 5 years and I'm pretty much cured.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I drink a lot of hot tea with a menthol cough drop melted into the tea during allergy season, use Claritin 24-hr, use allergy eye drops, and occasionally a couple shots of saline nose spray.

I get congested in the head and chest, my eyes itch, and I cough. It sucks.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Why would you have to take a whole day off from work to get allergy shots? Shouldn't take more than an hour or two max.

I was allergic to pollen, dust, animal fur, etc. and was starting to develop asthma. I began taking allergy shots and after 5 years I wanted to see what happened if I stopped going. Haven't been back in 5 years and I'm pretty much cured.

I never said I had to take all day off :iono:

Just getting the 1-2 hours a week would be like pulling teeth to get approved. I work for a legal Nazi regime.