GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lilfleck's Build Thread

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Going from a smaller IC to a huge one... did you notice any throttle lag or lag anywhere because of the increase in size?

I went from OEM --> S3 --> GSP v2

I can't say i noticed any lag. I also installed the Neuspeed k04 TOP and CTS TBP at the same time as the intercooler. I will say it felt "healthier" in the upper rpm range. Nothing crazy but the flow was surely better.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Late on this. I just elaborated on my impressions of my K04:

I was meaning to write a review on this actually... here are my thoughts:

Initial Start up:
The cold-start warm up is very different on the APR K04 file. It is MUCH better. The car doesn't sound obnoxious anymore and I'm finally content with my exhaust system. Before, I would HATE my car on cold starts. It was obnoxious and would garner unwanted stares from people near by. This is the way the car should be on warm ups.

Low/calm RPM driving:
Car feels identical to the stock turbo. Even on the K04 stock file, it feels almost identical to stock. I noticed that there were more turbo sounds. You can hear the compressor spooling up, but it only spools to 10psi, so stock-like. You would not notice you're driving a K04 unless you were REALLY looking hard... even then, you may miss it.

Normal driving mixed with spirited driving:
Car feels tamed during the normal driving. I feel like the car actually pulls more linear than stage 2. That being said, I do notice more turbo lag. As others have pointed out, there's nothing you can do about since it's a larger turbo. That being said, it's not a "big turbo" by any means. It is still an OEM turbo and just a smidge larger than the IHI (stock) turbo.

To elaborate on the linear feel, I went from stock to stage 2, so I will talk about stage 2. Stage 2 feels great. My favorite gear was second. As soon as I was at 3k, I punched it and I had full power almost immediately. It was fantastic. It also died off around 4700rpm (power). I felt like I was just waiting for the RPMs to finish so I could shift. With the K04, you punch it at 3k and it takes a tad longer to spool (maybe 1.5s) and you have a much stronger pull. The difference is, the pull lasts through most of the RPM band. Third gear now pulls really hard. Higher gears feel really nice. First and second are laughable.

Spirited Driving:
It will put a smile on your face if you start from a first gear roll. Utilizing APR's hard rev limiter to your advantage and shifting through the gears, you'll be extremely satisfied. Before you know it, you'll be at the top of fourth. It's just really nice having more power throughout more gears. Whereas the stock turbo, you feel the power to start to die off as you go higher in the gears and RPMs.

Sounds:
The stock IHI and OEM K04 have turbo mufflers. APR/AWE/HPA/Revo/CTS all remove this and it results in a K04 fitting the TSI AND more turbo sounds! This sucker spools up to around 20lbs and you can hear it. It sounds awesome. That being said, I also do notice more motor sounds in the cabin as well.

Overall Impressions on Drivability:
It is absolutely drivable for daily driving. I have no issues w/ it at all. I love the power. I love the confidence in the power as well. If I had to give it a con, I'd probably say that second gear is useless. You have to modulate the throttle to control the wheel spin. I get slightly lower mpg than I did on the IHI turbo. Maybe its because my foot has been heavier w/ the new tune and turbo, but I noticed it is a tad lower (maybe 2mpg).

Hope this was helpful.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info. Did you have any issues w/ the S3 IC as far as heat soak and consistent pulls?

I wouldn't say I had heat soak issues.

I did it to make sure i wouldn't have heat soak issues and with the large IC, increase flow. I installed the TOP and TBP at the same time so i wanted to open the flow up as much as possible..

Not to mention, I got the GSP for ~ 340 and sold my s3 for ~ 300. So, for $40, why not?

Welcome to the k04 club.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Damnit... car won't go into gear. :(

Was sitting in the car this afternoon for about 20 minutes idling on the phone. Nothing seemed to be wrong.

Got in the car after work and the damn thing is fighting me to get into gear. After I got moving, the car felt fine. Every red light it was the same thing. Went to the gym, got out, same deal. No bueno.

Car off: shifts through gears fine
Car on: doesn't like 1,2,R...

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
Ofcourse the day after we chat about clutches....

I was gunna say check your side to side, it's plastic and it could have broke. But then again you say it's fine when car is off...

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Clutch appears to be fine. Called for a tow the next morning because it was doing the same thing. Tow truck gets there, and the trans is fine. It's actually been just fine ever since this incident. :iono:

Anywho, I got my second and third tint ticket within two weeks of each other. The latest one is a mandatory court appearance. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my Tuesday evening. So I just bit the bullet and removed the front windows myself...

On the brightside, I do feel better at night because of the increase visibility. On the downside, less privacy and lots of sunlight gets in that I'd rather not have. Oh well, as long as the 5-0 gets off me, I'll be a happy camper.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Are you still running stock clutch? My southbend despises this cold weather and gives me a lot of trouble going into first, second and reverse. Once it warms up it's fine by cold mornings are rough, even though my car is garaged.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I have a gift certificate for Unitronic software.... which means I can pretty much switch tunes for $300 (with uni-connect).

Should I make the leap? I don't have any qualms with my APR software and a new revision is coming... but this chance is going to expire in a few days.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Are you still running stock clutch? My southbend despises this cold weather and gives me a lot of trouble going into first, second and reverse. Once it warms up it's fine by cold mornings are rough, even though my car is garaged.
Just saw this... I am. Which SB do you run? I'm on stock clutch.

I have a gift certificate for Unitronic software.... which means I can pretty much switch tunes for $300 (with uni-connect).

Should I make the leap? I don't have any qualms with my APR software and a new revision is coming... but this chance is going to expire in a few days.
I could alternatively use it towards hardware... but I'd just get the intake.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Any idea how I can get a recording of the intake sound? I want to make a comparo video of the unitronic vs carbonio sounds.