GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please help me diagnose (with videos)

WaffleStomped

Passed Driver's Ed
So i recently purchased a 2011 GTI with an APR k04 installation. It also has the Carbonio stage 1+2, Apr DP, and APR intercooler.

After driving around for a few days and reading the forums i've noticed my car hasn't really been holding boost properly. I checked the diverter valve and it was Rev G. I went ahead and bought the GFB DV+ and just installed it. Here are some runs that I just did, and i'm still getting the same boost response, so I believe the issue isn't the diverter valve.

Can anyone share any light on this?

4th gear pull:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5eKveNBTV-GcmdwbTRrb3NmT3c/edit?usp=sharing

3rd gear pull:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5eKveNBTV-GWjB6bE81ZnhHWVE/edit?usp=sharing

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
hm.. definitely isn't right.. can you do some vagcom logs on it to see requested and actual boost? who knows, could be something dumb like it's still got the stage2 flash on it instead of the k04 software

Might want to just check the obvious though, check the turbo outlet pipe, intercooler pipes, pcv lines, throttle pipe, etc

Davespence20

Ready to race!
Your only spiking 16-17 psi with a ko4? Something's really wrong there. Any boost leaks?

WaffleStomped

Passed Driver's Ed
I checked the TOP and pancake pipe, both are tight. I'll run through and check every connection from the turbo to the intake manifold.

before I bought the car I had it inspected by a shop that distributes APR software. They plugged it in to confirm it did indeed have the correct file, 93 oct non-testpipe k04

could this possibly just be the gauge?

I don't have a vag-com cable yet but I guess it's time to invest in one

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
it could be the gauge.. car looks decently fast, so time to buy a vag-com cable. That's really the only way to check unless you put another boost gauge on temporarily

WaffleStomped

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah i'd have to agree with you on that. Is ross-tech the only legit brand for them? I see a lot of random stuff on ebay but I want to be able to accurately data log.

WaffleStomped

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, I've noticed it hit 20+ psi before when I accelerate on the highway in 5th or 6th gear. It's usually in the lower RPMs though (under 5k), that's why I originally ruled a boost leak out since it was actually hitting the specified boost levels

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
The acceleration looks about right for a K04 maybe a tad slower than normal but it's hard to tell. If you really were only boosting 15-17 psi I doubt it would run like that. I would start by checking the guage.

WaffleStomped

Passed Driver's Ed
Zon, thanks for the input. I looked on the podi website and they have it posted that you need an inline filter on the boost tap to prevent the electrical sending unit from going bad. I'll pull apart the dash tomorrow to see if there is an inline filter, I have a feeling there isn't since the previous owned installed this kit about 2 years ago.

Does anyone know when the Podi gauges started requiring the inline filters? And how often to the electrical sending units go bad without a filter?

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
Zon, thanks for the input. I looked on the podi website and they have it posted that you need an inline filter on the boost tap to prevent the electrical sending unit from going bad. I'll pull apart the dash tomorrow to see if there is an inline filter, I have a feeling there isn't since the previous owned installed this kit about 2 years ago.

Does anyone know when the Podi gauges started requiring the inline filters? And how often to the electrical sending units go bad without a filter?

It was only recently that Podi made that announcement - if the gauge is 2 yrs old then there is a chance it could be affected. So, as others have mentioned, the boost gauge might be the culprit here. I wonder if disconnecting the vac lines and letting the vac lines and electronic sender "air out" for a day or two might help dry them out until you get a little inline filter.

WaffleStomped

Passed Driver's Ed
It was only recently that Podi made that announcement

thanks for that bit of info. I tried messing with some settings on the gauge last night and noticed the needle would "stick" in certain areas. I'm going to investigate this more and let you guys know

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
My car looks like it would be faster and I don't even have an IC... I feel like MPH should be moving a bit faster.

Waffle-when you get under the car, check for any oil drops or oil spray anywhere around the turbo. That would indicate a leak. If you have the time, disconnect the TOP and IC hose and make sure there is a green gasket there. If this all checks out, I'd get smoke tested to check for leaks. I would then just drop it off at a shop and let them check it out. Something doesn't seem right.

Vagcom would help diagnose much quicker because you could see your n75 duty cycle and requested vs actual boost. See if anyone local has one.

WaffleStomped

Passed Driver's Ed
lilfleck, thanks for the advice

When I put in my DV+ yesterday I checked all around the turbo for leaks and I didn't notice any. I'll probably go ahead and buy a vag-com though because it seems like a good investment for now and in the future

I asked earlier but I didn't get a response, is the Ross-Tech cable/software the only legit one for proper data-logging?

Davespence20

Ready to race!
lilfleck, thanks for the advice

When I put in my DV+ yesterday I checked all around the turbo for leaks and I didn't notice any. I'll probably go ahead and buy a vag-com though because it seems like a good investment for now and in the future

I asked earlier but I didn't get a response, is the Ross-Tech cable/software the only legit one for proper data-logging?

I think you can get eBay ones but I wouldn't