GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for opinions from previous STI owners...

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
05 isn't the hawkeye. Did they do a chassis redesign underneath the bodywork?

Absolutely bulletproof is a bit facetious for the 04-05 sti. Had a friend who went through 3 engines, all of which blew with ringland issues. One of which was completely stock.

I still can't ignore that price. We're talking C5's and C6's in great condition for that price. Or a Golf R that's 8 years newer and arguably more "bulletproof" than an sti.

Would you consider the Saab?
I don't include the 04 because it's pretty bare bones and has the smaller 5x100 bolt pattern, besides those things it's the same and would also be a good choice. The 05 and 06 are identical chassis wise, I think the 06 has taller gearing.

Your friend has a terrible engine tuner if he's blowing ring lands on the older ECU. They make 400whp quite reliably.

Velociraptor Thrust

Go Kart Champion
No to the Saab. And I'm so put out with vw I can't see myself ever owning one. I'm not sure if I'd ever own another VAG automobile. Not a fan of the c5 and the c6 would have to be a z06 which puts me in the 30's. Plus wanting something I can take dirt roads in. As I'm getting older Im getting back into the outdoors mood. Hawkeye is 06-07 right? Yeah I hate how they hold their value so damned well.

squall

Ready to race!
05 isn't the hawkeye. Did they do a chassis redesign underneath the bodywork?

Absolutely bulletproof is a bit facetious for the 04-05 sti. Had a friend who went through 3 engines, all of which blew with ringland issues. One of which was completely stock.

I still can't ignore that price. We're talking C5's and C6's in great condition for that price. Or a Golf R that's 8 years newer and arguably more "bulletproof" than an sti.

Would you consider the Saab?

nope, the chassis is the same. they did some minor changes to the center diff, but it is basically the same car with a different nose, head lights, and tail lights.

you can def pick up a nice c5 for that kind of money. i sold my sti for a c5 z06 back in 2007...best move i ever did. but you are gonna have a harder time finding a clean c6 with an ls3 for the same money. they are 28k+ right now. however, you can find a nice c6 ls2 for a little less, i know since i just bought one 2 months ago. :thumbsup:

squall

Ready to race!
No to the Saab. And I'm so put out with vw I can't see myself ever owning one. I'm not sure if I'd ever own another VAG automobile. Not a fan of the c5 and the c6 would have to be a z06 which puts me in the 30's. Plus wanting something I can take dirt roads in. As I'm getting older Im getting back into the outdoors mood. Hawkeye is 06-07 right? Yeah I hate how they hold their value so damned well.

you wont want a c6z06. they have major head problems. every one of them drops a valve sooner or later. you are better of with an ls2 or ls3. look for a z51 package like i have. it comes with bigger brakes, swaybars, shocks, struts, springs, a trans cooler, oil cooler and a powersteering cooler as well. not to mention different gear ratios in the trans.

squall

Ready to race!
Curious what, in your opinion, made it the best move?

simple. the corvette is a much better all around sports car. in my c5 zo6, with just headers, a tune and some drag radials, i was just as fast as my 05 sti with a gt30 (before the gt35) and all the supporting mods (fmic, injectors, exhaust, utec em, etc). which car do you think is under more stress at those levels..the 5.7 v8 with 400 from the factory or the 2.5 H4 with 300 from the factory? running 11's was like going out for coffee in the vette..not so much in the subie. so for power and reliability, hands down, the vette wins. now for suspension and brakes. the c5 z06 was basically a factory race car, out of the box, it out handles my old sti. the sti needs a minimum of endlinks and sway bars to get it to handle since they understeer horribly without them. and the z06 was meant to stop from 170+...def had the edge over my subie's bembros. exterior wise.. thats up to preference as is the interior.

all in total, i spent over 12k in parts for my subie (turbo, fmic, ems, ppg dogbox to hold the power) just to run slightly faster than my z06 did with 1000 worth of headers and tires. bang for your buck..its no contest really.
hence why i sold my brand new 2015 sti for a c6 z51 2 months ago. i thought i'd give the subie world another shot, since i didnt like my gti, but once you drive a vette, you always come back.

squall

Ready to race!
I went to bob bondurant's driving school back when they used the cts-v's. That was fun and I loved that car. Maybe I should start looking at those again? I did want something awd and capable of going off road, but I have always wanted a big v8... Decisions....

nice. yeah, that's why i have a 96 pathfinder 4x4. its a beast for off roading, the beach, snow, etc. then i have the vette for fun. its the best of both worlds, keeps the miles down on both and the wear and tear as well.

Taiso0019

Ready to race!
The gf has an 01 pathfinder and I'm now getting stuck with doing the labor lmao. She buys the parts I have to install them. Oh well she's pretty and smells nice. Guess that evens out.

Your gf or the pathfinder? Haha