GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Life-Span of a DSG gear box?!

Mevo

My friend has a 25 years old Mercedes Benz... and the Automatic still work... hahaha.

pat726627

Maintained properly, the DSG box should last well over 150,000 miles without needing clutch replacements as it is a wet clutch system and much gentler on the clutches than a human driver.

How about the 7-speed DSG on Golf TSI? (as I am driving one now). I heard the salesperson said it is a dry clutch system... is it much different than the wet one? Any extra pre-cautions that I need to take?

Speaking of the ride, I am really enjoying it :happyanim:

Thanks! :clap:

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
So did your DSG fail or did you just trade it in? If it failed, what was the weak link?

It was on the verge of teh failz by the time I traded it in. I started noticing a squeak whenever the gears changed, and after a few weeks the squeak would consistantly sound after the car was warmed up and driven for a few miles. It got louder and louder as time went on, and I didn't feel like shelling out $$$ for a MKV with 78k miles (I got it new). I found it to be the better decision to pay an extra 50$ a month for a new car instead of pay a couple thousand for DSG repair/replacement. I got my MKVI in december of 2009 and have put 33k miles on it over the past year and a month. No problems!... besides getting the engine replaced at 7k miles for a faulty oil system.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
How about the 7-speed DSG on Golf TSI? (as I am driving one now). I heard the salesperson said it is a dry clutch system... is it much different than the wet one? Any extra pre-cautions that I need to take?

Speaking of the ride, I am really enjoying it :happyanim:

Thanks! :clap:

Unsure of the dry-clutch DSG system, as we don't have it and it's quite new. However, I wouldn't be too worried because the DSG is still a much better shifter than any human and the clutches should last for quite a while.

pat726627

However, I wouldn't be too worried because the DSG is still a much better shifter than any human and the clutches should last for quite a while.

:w00t: Thanks! I was considering the extended warranty (covered up to 6 years / 160,000 km) as well just to be safe, but may be I will trade it for a MK VII GTI down the track... :happyanim:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
i maintain mine every 20 minutes

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
regularly maintained your DSG should outlast life span of your car!

did you really reply to a 4 year old post that had already been answered (4 years ago) multiple times before your answer?

:sm3:

Lol jk.