GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passing Inspection With APR K04 V3.1

KFahey

Ready to race!
Okay, so i passed inspection last year no problem with this setup by:

1. Replacing the Map sensor to the stock one.

2. Setting car to Stock program

3. Driving 20-30 miles to reset readiness

4. Having one o2 spacer that has never given me a code since it was installed 2 years ago (I'm CBFA)

My question is, is it possible to not throw a code being in stock mode but having the 3 bar map sensor installed? Not having to swap that sensor out every year would be great. One of the screws is also stripped and i cannot remove it so im hoping i can reset readiness and not throw a code with the 3 map sensor in....Are other APR k04 users doing this same thing to pass inspections? Any input would be great.

Thank you!

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I don't swap out my MAP sensor and I've never had an issue. I believe this just allows the ecu to see higher boost levels.

KFahey

Ready to race!
I thought it throws a code after a bit, maybe only if you go into too high of boost. Do you just avoid getting into boost for 30-50 miles until your readiness is resets?

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
If you're back in stock mode, you won't hit high levels of boost anyways. I just drive like I normally do. Never seemed to have any issues and I passed emissions testing in PA and MD doing so.

KFahey

Ready to race!
If you're back in stock mode, you won't hit high levels of boost anyways. I just drive like I normally do. Never seemed to have any issues and I passed emissions testing in PA and MD doing so.
Cool, thanks for the response man!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Okay, so i passed inspection last year no problem with this setup by:

1. Replacing the Map sensor to the stock one.

2. Setting car to Stock program

3. Driving 20-30 miles to reset readiness

4. Having one o2 spacer that has never given me a code since it was installed 2 years ago (I'm CBFA)

My question is, is it possible to not throw a code being in stock mode but having the 3 bar map sensor installed? Not having to swap that sensor out every year would be great. One of the screws is also stripped and i cannot remove it so im hoping i can reset readiness and not throw a code with the 3 map sensor in....Are other APR k04 users doing this same thing to pass inspections? Any input would be great.

Thank you!

What DP are you running? I moved from a 42dd to the new cat APR DP. The spacer config I was using for the 42dd does not work on my APR and I throw a code. I'm having the RAI J-spacer installed today with the middle jet. Just wondering if anyone else is running similar setup.

KFahey

Ready to race!
What DP are you running? I moved from a 42dd to the new cat APR DP. The spacer config I was using for the 42dd does not work on my APR and I throw a code. I'm having the RAI J-spacer installed today with the middle jet. Just wondering if anyone else is running similar setup.
I have a CTS turbo downpipe catless. I have the Vibrant or RAI Elbow spacer with the middle jet, worked like a charm

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Cool, thanks for the response man!

Mine ALWAYS throws the MAP code. im CBFA as well. theyre just more finicky so that might be the reason. No matter what I do, if i go back to stock mode it throws it.

I just recently talked to someone at APR and they said you can VAG-COM your ECU to re-enable the defeated o2 sensor in 91 or 93 mode so you can pass in tuned mode without having to go back to stock, which takes care of the MAP problem. I plan to try that once it warms back up.

Does anyone else agree that works?

Last edited:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I have a CTS turbo downpipe catless. I have the Vibrant or RAI Elbow spacer with the middle jet, worked like a charm

Thanks for the info. Wondering if I should stick with the middle jet or switch to the smallest one due to mine being a catted DP. I guess I'll figure it out if it throws a code using the middle one.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info. Wondering if I should stick with the middle jet or switch to the smallest one due to mine being a catted DP. I guess I'll figure it out if it throws a code using the middle one.

wouldnt you want to go with the larger jet? Since youre CATTED and so you make LESS exhaust than a CATLESS?

KFahey

Ready to race!
Mine ALWAYS throws the MAP code. im CBFA as well. theyre just more finicky so that might be the reason. No matter what I do, if i go back to stock mode it throws it.

I just recently talked to someone at APR and they said you can VAG-COM your ECU to re-enable the defeated o2 sensor in 91 or 93 mode so you can pass in tuned mode without having to go back to stock, which takes care of the MAP problem. I plan to try that once it warms back up.

Does anyone else agree that works?

Yes i'm CBFA as well, 22 miles so far no map code yet....I would love more information about re-enabling the defeated o2 sensor in 93 mode. Do you know where i can do this in VAG?

Yes you might have to experiment with the jets, middle one seems to be the most popular that works.

KFahey

Ready to race!
Since i one of the bolts is stripped on my map sensor, was thinking about leaving it bolted in but unplugging it....and plugging in the stock map sensor and ziptying it to the throttle body pipe.

Bad idea? Lol just until my monitors are set.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
wouldnt you want to go with the larger jet? Since youre CATTED and so you make LESS exhaust than a CATLESS?

Right, right. I'll see how the middle one does and go from there.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Yes i'm CBFA as well, 22 miles so far no map code yet....I would love more information about re-enabling the defeated o2 sensor in 93 mode. Do you know where i can do this in VAG?

Yes you might have to experiment with the jets, middle one seems to be the most popular that works.

I don't think the map code is enough to actually give a check engine light. Are you actually pulling codes or just waiting for the light to come on

KFahey

Ready to race!
I don't think the map code is enough to actually give a check engine light. Are you actually pulling codes or just waiting for the light to come on
Waiting for a CEL, made it 115 miles on the stock program with the 3 bar map sensor installed. Didn't pull any soft codes if that's what you mean..pretty sure the map sensor has caused me a CEL before with this setup...I made sure to stay out of boost this time though. What map code are you talking about throwing?