GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: turbosmart plumb back DV

FriggenT1

Banned
After going through 3 DVs and much debating about going with a relocation kit, bov kit, etc. I finally decided to give the turbosmart plumb back DV a chance. Turbosmart has had a great name for a very long time, and I've used their bovs previously when I owned my Evo X.

The reason: Well, though some will argue with me to no end, the OEM DVs are pieces of s***. The build quality sucks, the springs are weak, the plastic can crack (though to be fair none of mine ever did), most of all my reason is that the electronic factor...I don't want it. Manual imo is always better when you have anything that might be prone to failure. These are my reasons, but I understand plenty have had little to no trouble out of the rev D or revised C.

The build quality: it's fantastic! Solid billet aluminum, tighter spring, it's just top quality. Everything is cut beautifully, it fits the turbo housing perfectly, and there were no hardware issues, nothing missing, etc.

The install: really, the install is a breeze, taking your time is key, as with anything. It took me 30-45 minutes I think to get the old DV out, and all the new DV installed.

Packaging: I felt everything was packaged nicely, the install instructions can be found online in pdf format, but there's also a little cd that I guess has instructions, I didn't even look at it honestly. I have a picture of what's included, which is pretty self explanatory.

I would've taken more pics, but the install pics are all that's needed to see.

The boost tap is nice since it has an extra port for the DV, as well as a boost gauge. I wasn't wild about the way the tap went, as it has a plastic coupler that the metal fits around and then small... very small Allen screws hold it in place. I felt no leaks though and on the drive, everything was good.

The drive: as strange as it sounds, the NEW DV seemed to feel faster, which may just be a placebo effect. It's not much louder than OE, but somewhat. The car pulls like it did before, boost seemed to hold about 1-2 psi more from 25 to about 21, where it was falling to around 19-20 psi. The dv is fast though, make no mistake about that. I noticed certainly no slower reaction as I said, it seemed quicker.

Overall: I'm very happy with how it works, the build quality, and the overall performance. However, I didn't buy this as a performance mod, so much as wanting something with less possible problems. As I said, to me..manual is better.

For 207.00? Yeah, I could buy a few rev Ds, but the point is I don't want them lol, I feel this will last the life of the car plus some, and with 1 vacuum line, and no electronics to go wrong, it's a no brainer IMHO of course.

Hope this helps someone with their choice.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_214&products_id=536

Last edited:

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
This is interesting... i would like to see how it sits on the turbo. any corresponding codes from deleting the electrical rev D?

FriggenT1

Banned
This is interesting... i would like to see how it sits on the turbo. any corresponding codes from deleting the electrical rev D?

No, it has a dead plug (or that's what I call it) so no cel. Of course there's only about 15 miles on it, but I don't see an issue with it. I can try to get some pics of it in the turbo, but basically it's the same as the rev D, but just a little shorter, so there's actually more room around it when installed.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I've been running one of these for over 2 yrs now with no issues with CELs etc. I run the dual port one tho but it's almost the same with the exception I can vent some air out if I want, which I do a little

FriggenT1

Banned
I've been running one of these for over 2 yrs now with no issues with CELs etc. I run the dual port one tho but it's almost the same with the exception I can vent some air out if I want, which I do a little

I really feel like it's just as fast, I'm really wondering if it's in my head, however it doesn't matter, if I can't notice it lagging, then it's a non issue.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I don't even remember how fast the OEM was but I did hate the surge that it caused when it opened in the 2k RPM range while on throttle, which is why I replaced it with this. I love the dual port one cause I can control how much air I vent so my car doesn't bog during shifting or give fuel trim issue but still get the sound of VTA

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Drove st least 50 miles today, no cel, so all looks good there.

Hey just saw this thread as you mentioned you liked the turbosmsrt plumb back better than the OEM DVs and the GFB DV+. Do you think this will work well with the stock turbo. I'm stage 2 GIAC. I recently uninstalled my Uni DV relocation kit as I feel it was causing a leak. The car feels like it pulls harder again. Now just hate the dreaded flute noise with my IE intake. I'm hesitant of putting the DV+ back in as I feel like it reacts slower even without the main spring in.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty sure my GFB dv is not playing well with the f23t. It almost seems like it's getting stuck open. I'll hit the gas, this almost exclusively happens in 4th-6th, and the boost pressure goes up normally, but the car doesn't accelerate, almost like it's just all being dumped. It sounds like its being dumped. I can let off the gas and get back on it and it will fix itself. I said all of that to make sure this thing works well with the f23t. I have a rev d coming now to see if that fixes my problem, but I might go this route if the rev d takes a shit on me.

FriggenT1

Banned
I'm pretty sure my GFB dv is not playing well with the f23t. It almost seems like it's getting stuck open. I'll hit the gas, this almost exclusively happens in 4th-6th, and the boost pressure goes up normally, but the car doesn't accelerate, almost like it's just all being dumped. It sounds like its being dumped. I can let off the gas and get back on it and it will fix itself. I said all of that to make sure this thing works well with the f23t. I have a rev d coming now to see if that fixes my problem, but I might go this route if the rev d takes a shit on me.

I had the dv+, but I got it because I thought I was having DV issues, I was getting so much oil around them. I've replaced the pcv which now is dry. I've been speaking with Doug about some of the issues I'm currently having, we're trying to work on a solution to hold higher boost to redline, but Alex has said that a stronger wg such as the forge unit may be needed.

As far as the dv goes, I like having a full mechanical set up. It's one less thing to worry about, it's easy to install, remove, clean, etc and just keep going.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it's very tempting to try out. Sometimes I still feel like there is a slight delay with the electronic one.