GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

davserbic

Ready to race!

COLOR MATCHED SIDE MARKERS

After lurking some threads across here and MK6 forums, I made the decision to get color matched side markers. Unfortunately, NO ONE has 2.5L Golf markers in CW.

Sooooo I decided to paint my own rather than waiting or hunting down pairs that are retailing for $130 new.

I purchased Dupli-Color Candy White (LB9A) Exact-Match Automotive Paint from Amazon as well as Primer and High Gloss Clear Coat. If you scroll down, you'll see the kit paired together. Price for all three: $23.07

I popped my side markers out by unscrewing four screws T27 screws from the wheel well splash shields, peeled the plastic a smidgen and they popped out like a charm. I cleaned them with alcohol rub and some cotton cleaning pads to get all of the dirt and dust from the surface. Shortly after they were clean, I used a "00" Grade 3M brush to scratch the surface for the primer to have scratches to adhere to. Once the surface has been scuffed up lightly all the way around and edges, I applied primer to the lights and waited for the primer to cure. After curing the primer, I used 600 grit sandpaper to sand down the primer a bit by sanding in small "X" like patterns to get cross grain scratches to form. Once that was done and the dust was cleaned off again, I applied the paint. Four coats of paint, little by little the side markers began to take true color. After letting the paint cure, I applied high gloss clear coat to give them a good shine.

Take a look, not too shabby I think.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Car's hanging out at the dealership this weekend for the water pump recall. The Yaris that I got from the car rental place is surprisingly okay, but has almost nothing in the way of extras. I don't think there's even cruise control in that thing.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
RainX'd windshield and hatch window.

Muratti

Ready to race!

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion
Got this Ipow phone holder from amazon. Looks and works pretty good :thumbup:

Not bad :thumbup: I've got a similar vent-mounted one from Brodit, which I think I also got from Amazon.

93serprise

Ready to race!
Attempted to install an apr sideburn fender vinyl and then ripped that shit off.

Sent from my portable time machine after inserting crystals.

93serprise

Ready to race!
Apparently damaged the paint on my fender when I removed the fender vinly....I thought it was adhesive residue but it actually looks like it removed some clear coat/paint.....fucking sucks.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!
Apparently damaged the paint on my fender when I removed the fender vinly....I thought it was adhesive residue but it actually looks like it removed some clear coat/paint.....fucking sucks.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT. :scared0016::thumbdown:

93serprise

Ready to race!
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT. :scared0016:[emoji107]
I know right...thanks APR....ughhhh....wonder how much this shit is going to cost me to repair.