GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Kessy/ Push button start problem

PappaCap

Passed Driver's Ed
My push button start on my 2012 Autobahn GTI is not functioning properly. For me to start the car, I usually have to push and hold the button in really hard or kinda roll my finger around the push button while holding it in. Couldn't find any posts mentioning the same issue. Remote battery is fresh and everything else with Kessy functions fine. Occasionally I can push it in gently and get it to start but that's not the norm. Seems to be getting worse. Suggestions?

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2012 autobahn also with KESSY I do have to hold it in but I don't have to use excessive force or massage the button for it to start.

Have you had your car battery tested?

PappaCap

Passed Driver's Ed
Battery is good. Over 12.5 volts w/ car off. I'm thinking its more of an issue with the button itself.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Agreed, just thought it was worth asking I installed an aftermarket push button start on a previous car and found a week battery caused some strange stuff with it. Any chance you have warranty still?

PappaCap

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed, just thought it was worth asking I installed an aftermarket push button start on a previous car and found a week battery caused some strange stuff with it. Any chance you have warranty still?

Unfortunately, car is out of warranty. Was hoping I could find someone that has experienced the same issue and what their solution was.

zrickety

The Fixer
It's definitely the button by your description. That DIY is good, just don't go crazy with the pencil eraser. I've seen similar contacts wear through.

PappaCap

Passed Driver's Ed
Worked like a charm. Cleaned the contacts and everything works as new. Thanks again.:happyanim:

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Heh, I just had the button replaced by the dealer today. Wish I knew about the DIY sooner but $165ish parts+labor for the thing isn't too bad compared to what others were being quoted. :)