GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
It seems like if you actually get winters the battery lasts a little bit longer, but if you live in a place like florida where it's pretty much hot year round they die quicker.

That and the fact that it's in the engine bay. My girls Audi has it in the trunk and her car is a 2011 A4 and I just replaced the battery last month and I just replaced it cause I got a feeling it might be on the way out plus got a good coupon at advanced auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
It seems like if you actually get winters the battery lasts a little bit longer, but if you live in a place like florida where it's pretty much hot year round they die quicker.

South Louisiana isn't much better. While I don't know if it is a trend with turbocharged cars or not, I noticed that the battery in both my WRX and GTI died at the 2 year mark, and right after August, which is the generally the hottest month of the year.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
2012 and still running original battery [emoji1598]
2011 here, and same. If this winter is anything serious it will probably kill it off though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Dropped her off to have valve cover diagnosed for leaks. Clerk told me there's an ECU update that helps start up cranking in cold weather.

2011 MK6 2 Door UG | ECS Stage 2 Intake | COBB Stage 2 | COBB Turboback w/Highflow Cat/42DD O2 Spacer | Full DeAuto LED Kit | HID/Fog Kit | RevD, DV+ | R8 RedTops | Welcome Door Light VW Logo Projectors | VagCom Mods | Hatch Pop Kit | CTS PCV Catch Can | Neuspeed Charge Pipe | CTS Discharge Pipe | Eonon GA5153F Headunit | Full Kicker Audio | Alzor 081 18's | Pirelli PZeros

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Anyone have info on mk6 gti golf r front bumper conversion. ?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

There are kits out there with everything you need. ECS sells a full OEM bumper kit, which is what I would recommend. The fitment on aftermarket bumpers is pretty spotty.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Exterior/Body/Front_Bumper/ES2598358/

You WILL need VCDS coding for the DRL leds.

Everything else is a direct bolt on. Body wise, the cars are identical minus the front/rear bumpers and side skirts. Everything is interchangeable.

In my research in helping a friend acquire all of this outside a full kit like i listed above, is you MIGHT save some money, but probably not enough to warrant the wait and time searching for this stuff. The DRL leds and the individual bumper grilles are tough to find used and are expensive bought individually.

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
Okay, so all of this battery talk brings back up something that I've been wondering for a while now...
Why are there not lithium replacements for standard car batteries? If there are, where the hell are they? It just seems like so much unnecessary weight. With the kind of bank that people shell out for carbon fiber body panels, it just makes sense. Or at least it does to me.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Okay, so all of this battery talk brings back up something that I've been wondering for a while now...
Why are there not lithium replacements for standard car batteries? If there are, where the hell are they? With the kind of bank that people shell out for carbon fiber body panels it just seems like it would make sense. It just seems like so much unnecessary weight.

Lithium ion batteries do not handle heat well at all. By "not well" I mean will catch on fire after significant exposure to engine bay temps.

I have heard of people using supercaps instead but it's a DIY type of deal. No kits available for that as far as I know.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Lithium ion batteries do not handle heat well at all. By "not well" I mean will catch on fire after significant exposure to engine bay temps.

I have heard of people using supercaps instead but it's a DIY type of deal. No kits available for that as far as I know.

Thank you, I suspected that it was perhaps something like that. I know that they are used in the Tesla. Totally different though and if that is a concern it's probably insulated...

Yeah, again, thank you. It's been nagging at me and I wasn't coming up with much online.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Why are there not lithium replacements for standard car batteries? If there are, where the hell are they? It just seems like so much unnecessary weight. With the kind of bank that people shell out for carbon fiber body panels, it just makes sense. Or at least it does to me.

looks like there might be... HYDE did a review of one a while back http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76119

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
So I just went to pull out of my drive way and heard a huge screeching noise like metal on metal so I parked and have smoke coming out my exhaust? Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk