GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS Sensors with Aftermarket Wheels

bluesrocker137

Hi all, I know this has been discussed before, but in searching through the forums I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I'm looking at picking up a set of Sparco Pro Corsa wheels and Pilot Super Sport tires for my 2010 GTI, and I see some disagreement in the forums about what will happen if I opt to bypass the TPMS Sensors, as in run the wheels with no sensors at all. Some people say the light will just stay off, some say (as I would have assumed) that the light will flash obnoxiously.

I have no real use for the sensors, as the Pilot Super Sports have an XL rating and if they ever drop to the 30psi threshold where he light turns on, I would already have bent wheels.

Thank you guys for any help, I'm not necessarily expecting the answers I'd like here, but I welcome any opportunity to save 216 bucks and put it towards the next mod!

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
On a 2010 you will get the error light. you can disable TPMS through vagcom though.

Exactly. That's what I did until I bought used sensors from another forum member a few years ago.

bluesrocker137

I see, kinda what I figured. I just hate the idea of running the TPMS sensors when they have no real purpose for running tires that require a higher pressure anyways. The XL rated Pilot Super Sports need either 38 or 42 psi, so if I ever drop low enough to trigger the sensors at 30 psi, I've got much bigger problems.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Bluesrocker137

I have a 2010 GTI too, particularly 2010 cars are tricky to disable TPMS, the first time I did, it didn’t work at all, then after quite some time ( a year maybe, it did). I never bought a brand new set of sensors either: I got myself some used ones in $30 bucks for my later third wheel set, still the light came back on, did another VAGCOM and they light is gone so far. Hope this helps..

davserbic

Ready to race!
Swapped aftermarket wheels with no TPMS — light came on and stayed on.

Bought VW TPMS from eBay and just put them in, no calibration / paring, turned on car and drove 25ft, the light turned off and never came on again until low on pressure. You can run them with no TPMS, no problem at all if you can live with the light on the dash.

If not, either buy the TPMS or get a Vagcom cable to disable once and for all.

Audi/VW TPMS: $79 (Set of 4)
Vagcom Cable: $200

bluesrocker137

Swapped aftermarket wheels with no TPMS — light came on and stayed on.

Bought VW TPMS from eBay and just put them in, no calibration / paring, turned on car and drove 25ft, the light turned off and never came on again until low on pressure. You can run them with no TPMS, no problem at all if you can live with the light on the dash.

If not, either buy the TPMS or get a Vagcom cable to disable once and for all.

Audi/VW TPMS: $79 (Set of 4)
Vagcom Cable: $200

Where are you getting the price of $79 for 4 TPMS sensors? Everything I've seen is marginally more expensive than that. I'd spend 80 bucks to turn a light off and not be the butt of everyone's VW check engine light jokes!