GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
mbc
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: VW GTI Autobahn MK6 2Dr Candy White
New VW Golf GTI MK6 Autobahn problems with gearbox/transmission and electronics???

Hi guys,

I am having problems with my new GTI MK6 Autobahn. I have had problems since almost day one and now I have about 1000 miles. Aside from some minor electronic issues, my gearbox/transmission doesn't seem to be working like it should. The majority of the time it feels notchy, makes noises from underneath the car, kicks me out with the clutch all the way in, and some times grinds. Even worse, 4 nights ago it wouldn't go into reverse with the clutch to the floor at a stand still on a flat road until after 3-5 tries, and tonight it would go into 1st until after 3 tries.

Did I get the worst GTI in existence or is the GTI gearbox/transmission just crap... Additionally, does anyone know what the problem could be, syncros? Is this going to be on my car fax if I have to fix it or get a new transmission? ... and is this enough to bring up the lemon law?

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks!
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
Bring it back to the dealer and have it looked at??...I doubt the gearbox has syncro problems especially at only 1000 miles...Is this your first car with a manual gearbox?
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
excelevant
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '14 5.0 Track Pack
Not dismissing that there may be a problem, I have this to share.

When I got my car, I went through a short phase thinking my gearbox had become notchy. Among other MKVI mannerisms, I then became familiar with the rev hang caused by the heavy flywheel, which with such a quiet engine, I didn't notice and it turns out I was shifting too early. I've also had difficulty with engagement, but that has been solved when starting from a stop by double clutching (clutch in - neutral - clutch out - clutch in - gear) into 1st and reverse. I actually just made a short thread about rev hang in the 'Driving Techniques' section.
excelevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Z4M, GTI
Sometimes my car won't go into reverse easily.. I put the clutch in, put it in 1st, neutral and then reverse and it goes in just fine.. try that next time.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
mbc
Passed Driver's Ed

Bring it back to the dealer and have it looked at??...I doubt the gearbox has syncro problems especially at only 1000 miles...Is this your first car with a manual gearbox?

yeah, i have and am... they are bringing in their special know it all service guy.... Anything else you can think might be causing this... Yes this is the first manual that I have "owned" but I have experience and believe that I know when a stick is working properly...

Not dismissing that there may be a problem, I have this to share.

When I got my car, I went through a short phase thinking my gearbox had become notchy. Among other MKVI mannerisms, I then became familiar with the rev hang caused by the heavy flywheel, which with such a quiet engine, I didn't notice and it turns out I was shifting too early. I've also had difficulty with engagement, but that has been solved when starting from a stop by double clutching (clutch in - neutral - clutch out - clutch in - gear) into 1st and reverse. I actually just made a short thread about rev hang in the 'Driving Techniques' section.

Yeah I have noticed similar events and I think that is rather obnoxious for me to have to do a work around just to get into a gear and I was hopping there would be a better solution...

Sometimes my car won't go into reverse easily.. I put the clutch in, put it in 1st, neutral and then reverse and it goes in just fine.. try that next time.

=P ok i will ... is that normal for GTI's?

Thanks for the responses ... lemme know if there is more I should know before I go back to the dealer and call a lawyer
Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
PureDrive
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2014 VW
I have a 2012 Jetta GLI and have had similar experiences with shifting. I have 820 miles on the car. I brought it to two different dealerships, who both said things are operating normally. I am trying different shift knobs and have ordered the 42Draft Design metal shifter bushings and a short shifter from HPA to see if they help how the shifter feels/performs. I also cut a half an inch/inch off the height of the stock shifter lever.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
PureDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
BS2H
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 UG GTI BS2H
The not going into reverse is normal. Reverse has no syncros. If you can't get into reverse, take your foot off the brake and let the car move a few centimeters and it will go into reverse.

Just try to learn the intricacies of this transmission. It takes some time but it's a lot of fun when you get it. From the 1-2 shift try shifting at 2200 rpm and slowly letting out the clutch.

Anyway, good luck.
BS2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
raaalph
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 6MT
Someone else started a thread recently with the same problem (brand new car with trouble going into gear). It sounds like your shift linkages might be off. This is a pretty easy fix (loosen linkages, lock shifter in home position, tighten linkages), but it's worth mentioning to the service techs when you bring your car in.

Edit: Here's the other thread I mentioned http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44055
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
PureDrive
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2014 VW
I also forgot to add that I installed a torque mount insert as well, to see if that helped the shifting experience. The drivetrain felt a little tighter, but the shifting experience was not helped and almost felt worse/ more tricky.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
PureDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
elwood
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2016 R 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
... and is this enough to bring up the lemon law?
I think you need to bring the car in with serious issues 4 times before you can apply for lemon law relief in Illinois.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
This sounds exactly like issues people have when installing a short shifter and not adjusting properly...
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Shini
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '15 DBP GTI
I've got a new 2012 MKVI too, I only have problems getting it into gear if I don't hold the button down hard enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
"oh sorry, is that my dong hanging out there?! ?
Shini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
raaalph
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This sounds exactly like issues people have when installing a short shifter and not adjusting properly...
Exactly...I think I've now seen 3 threads about new cars with this issue within the past week. Maybe VW has been slacking on getting the linkages adjusted properly?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
mbc
Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks everyone -keep posting!

I think you need to bring the car in with serious issues 4 times before you can apply for lemon law relief in Illinois.

Wed will be my 3rd time within a month... so almost there! =/

Someone else started a thread recently with the same problem (brand new car with trouble going into gear). It sounds like your shift linkages might be off. This is a pretty easy fix (loosen linkages, lock shifter in home position, tighten linkages), but it's worth mentioning to the service techs when you bring your car in.
Edit: Here's the other thread I mentioned http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44055

Thanks, I will definitely bring it up

More on the story -I have contacted everyone including sales men, 2 managers from the dealer, service supervisor, VW home office, etc... EVERYONE told me I should not be experiences any of the above -Yet, the service guy couldn't find anything ... weird

Also, the manager said it won't go on my car fax if I fix the transmission, but I don't have 100% faith in that

Car Goes in Tmrw wed and they're will be the "special" service guy and a regional manager involved... Ill keep you posted.

I have to admit my VW experience so far is a HUGE disappointment (...and that's an understatement) and I can't believe I am having these kinds of problems on a brand new car.... Pretty sure this will be my first and last VW

Tags
2012, autobahn, gti, manual, mk6