GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #29
circulator
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnimativ View Post
Question for all you experienced drivers. How do you accelerate in a faster pace from idle? My acceleration is really slow (slower than my other AT cars)... Any tips?
Do you mean a standing start? Meaning you are stopped and want to take off quickly?

It is tricky in a front drive car from my experience but generally applying the power steady and smooth works the best. That way you can keep traction and avoid just burning tires.

Oh and TSC should be OFF!
circulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #30
cnimativ
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr MT CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by circulator View Post
Do you mean a standing start? Meaning you are stopped and want to take off quickly?

It is tricky in a front drive car from my experience but generally applying the power steady and smooth works the best. That way you can keep traction and avoid just burning tires.

Oh and TSC should be OFF!
Yes, standing start. Not take off quickly as in the case of drag racing, just aiming for a standing start speed similar to my A3.

TSC? How do I turn that off?
cnimativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #31
circulator
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Yes, standing start. Not take off quickly as in the case of drag racing, just aiming for a standing start speed similar to my A3.

It just takes practice I guess....the A3 is a fair comparison power/motor wise but the AWD will make a big difference in how the car takes off.

There is a small button just in front of the shifter in the MK6. Although it might be labeled ESB..... either way traction control of any kind off.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #32
OverTimer
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 13 PG GLI Autobahn DSG
Send a message via Yahoo to OverTimer
Quote:

If your talking about just taking off from a light the easiest way is to skip from 1st to 3rd on a flat/slight uphill grade or from a downhill grade starting in 2nd.
Having traction control of isn't going to do you any good unless your trying to launch your car.
OverTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
this is a good thread. My advice: with a/c on, you better shift quick and you must not let the tach drop more than a 750-900 rpm or so by the time you let off to engage 2nd. Come to think of it.... whenever you shift, you want to ONLY let the tach drop around 750-900rpms for smooth shifting.

For EX: start off in 1st, shift at 3000rpm, make sure you engage 2nd by 2250 rpm or so. Shift at 3000 again, on to 3rd gear, make sure to release clutch by 2300 rpm. etc etc etc....

Each car is different... with the GTI, we have a ton of torque...so for city driving, we need only shift near 2500-2700 rpm... (for conservative driving of course)

In this car, it is imperative that you start depressing the throttle ever so slightly before even letting off the clutch. (1st to 2nd) Do not let the whole clutch release and NOT give it throttle.... YOU WILL BOG and you will get that clutch saving "delay" lag whatever...
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #34
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by circulator View Post
I can second that... it actually surprised me the first time, I seem to be able to compensate now though.
a bsh motor mount insert/ tranny mount insert usually will fix this hard shifting pattern
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #35
circulator
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucky View Post
a bsh motor mount insert/ tranny mount insert usually will fix this hard shifting pattern
Ya, it definitely did on my Speed3. It is on my list of things to get for the GTI
Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #36
alung
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2.0 tdi
Just look up rev matching...
alung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #37
Peachaz
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Black GTI, 2dr, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by And2TheRepublic View Post
also just a TIP for manuals: when when you slow down for a stop sign/light/turn. leave it in gear and let off the clutch until you reach around 1k RPM or when the appropriate gear needed for a turn.

the reason being, is that when in gear while slowing down, you dont use any gas to do so. over the span of a tank this will save you on gas. its small mounts, but it adds up.

while stopped at light, leave it in first gear, unless the wait is long.

just a few friendly tips.
I disagree with this. This will not save gas but instead saves brakes. When downshifting, with the accelerator pedal off, the car is given idle fuel and air. If you use pure brakes to stop, fuel consumption is at idle levels. If you engaged the transmission to stop without depressing the accelerator (downshift), the engine friction is used to slow the car rather than the friction from the brakes. You'll likely have to supplement the downshift with brakes, but won't wear the pads out as much. I usually don't downshift into first because of the large ratio between 1st and 2nd. All other gears are good to go for downshifting.
Peachaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #38
grifgolf
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachaz View Post
This will not save gas but instead saves brakes.
Not true for fuel-injected engines. Engine braking saves both gas and brakes.

See for example http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4230705
grifgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #39
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifgolf View Post
Not true for fuel-injected engines. Engine braking saves both gas and brakes.

See for example http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4230705
I don't stick the car in a lower gear just to slow it down when coming to a stoplight... just sounds like extra clutch wear to me...

my gas mileage and my brakes are wearing very well... as is me clutch... K.O.W
Old 02-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #40
Shinster
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI APR Stage 2
reviving an old thread but how's everybody doing with their driving?
It's been a year for me and driving stick is almost second nature. It's been a while since I smelled that horrible stench of burned clutch unless I've been having some fun

I'm still not great at 'spirited driving' but I'm hoping to autocross sometime this year. Anybody have any pointers or helpful hints?
Shinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #41
Macgyver
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 CSG
If you can find a very experienced driver to spend a half an hour with you, you will learn more than you will by yourself in a few years. The key is to match rev's up shifting and down shifting. Never slip a clutch any more than absolutely required. I have 230.000 miles on my 98 M3, all on the original clutch. Driving fast does not wear out a clutch, improper shifting does. Most experienced drivers would be more than happy to teach you the finer points of shifting. I would.

Last edited by Macgyver; 02-25-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #42
Shinster
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI APR Stage 2
With a username like 'Macgyver', I'll believe everything you tell me. Too bad you live across the country...Thanks
Shinster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, shift