GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental DW...All Season for Bay Area?

michele-san1

Passed Driver's Ed
I was thinking I could get the Continental ExtremeContact DW for use as an all season Bay Area tire. No driving to Tahoe, etc. But TireRack is strongly advising against this, saying traction is very much limited below 45° in the wet, and really goes downhill from there. Around here, early evenings will be wet and in the mid-low 40s often. A few weeks in winter we may have mid 30s during the day.

Although I have seen a review on Continental's site of someone driving this tire in Virginia in the 20° and 30° ranges with no issues on their part.

I definitely will never have 2 sets of tires for this area.

So is DWS the answer?

corydd

Go Kart Champion
You can run summer tires in SF. It's fine. I can't remember the last time it hit the 30's in the daytime.

michele-san1

Passed Driver's Ed
You can run summer tires in SF. It's fine. I can't remember the last time it hit the 30's in the daytime.

I'm in Marin, and it will get in the low-30s early in the morning on a handful of days. Generally warms up pretty quickly, to the 40s. Same on a few evenings. Not often, though.

Yet the rep at TR said the DWs will degrade in the wet at 45°, and go down from there. It's in the mid 40s here often. Are they being overly cautious?

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I've driven the DWs in snow in New England and I'm still alive. That said I'm a new Englander and we are a bit crazy. In full disclosure I drive on the DWSs now and I miss the summer traction of the DWs! The DWs do get very hard and slick in <40 degrees but unless it's snowing or raining a ton you'll be fine.

michele-san1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the feedback! I decided on the DWS, as it seems like they get very close to the performance of the DW in most situations. And I don't have to worry about driving the very few times it's in the low 40s out here. A rep from Continental said it's the same core tire as the DW with a different tread.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for all the feedback! I decided on the DWS, as it seems like they get very close to the performance of the DW in most situations. And I don't have to worry about driving the very few times it's in the low 40s out here. A rep from Continental said it's the same core tire as the DW with a different tread.

i think youll be happy. I went with the DW but im also in Central Florida and we extremely rarely ever drop into the 40s mostly the mid 50s

jontalk

Ready to race!
Good to see another Bay area VW enthusiast here...I've always driven all season tires or even summer tires year round. While this is my first Golf, the BMW's, Porsche and other cars I've had always handled great with all season or quasi-high performance tread designs. I have the stock tires that came on the 15" Lyon wheels though I'm hunting for 17's or 18's so I can get more rubber on the road.

jrilla

Ready to race!
Good to see another Bay area VW enthusiast here...I've always driven all season tires or even summer tires year round. While this is my first Golf, the BMW's, Porsche and other cars I've had always handled great with all season or quasi-high performance tread designs. I have the stock tires that came on the 15" Lyon wheels though I'm hunting for 17's or 18's so I can get more rubber on the road.

Bay area local selling some 18 inch sparcos

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
As temps get colder, the summer compound will harden. In the dry it is easy to modify your driving. In the wet and near freezing it will be less adept. Repping my old San Ramon stomping grounds.