GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > CANADA

Old 06-24-2018, 03:21 AM   #1
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Question Any Updates for Canada on Timing Chain Tensioner Failures on the 2.0 TSI

I saw this Post, anyone know if there are any updates for Canada on the 2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Failures.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116214

I was going to fix mine but if they will extend the warranty, I'll they them repair it.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Mr_Dog
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
I saw this Post, anyone know if there are any updates for Canada on the 2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Failures.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116214

I was going to fix mine but if they will extend the warranty, I'll they them repair it.

No, this is a different type of if you e-mail the lawyer they say it they can only guarantee $ for people who have blown their motor.

If you haven't blown it they ask you to pay them a fee and they will try and get you money for replacement but no guarantee.

It is possible that in the future VW will extend the warranty but not right now
Mr_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:36 AM   #3
davisharr
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
I think Im gonna pay to get mine dont next month, 100,000km on car now and its fine so far but I am getting a bit of a rattle on hot starts as if chain is stretched perhaps, VW techs say its fine but I kinda wana get it done anyway just for the peace of mind.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dog View Post
No, this is a different type of if you e-mail the lawyer they say it they can only guarantee $ for people who have blown their motor.

If you haven't blown it they ask you to pay them a fee and they will try and get you money for replacement but no guarantee.

It is possible that in the future VW will extend the warranty but not right now
Thanks, yes motor is blown.
I purchased a VW Replacement head with all the valve gear installed and currently in the process of doing it myself. I have the intake off and working on loosing the turbo from the head.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
gtibot
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Just FYI, I tried to get VW Canada to pay for it but no luck. We're stuck with paying for the cost to fix ourselves. I have almost 200K and no problems yet, but will pay to have it fixed since I plan to keep car for awhile.
gtibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
BuffMcBigHuge
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 Volkswagen GTI 2.0T
Try and get your oil changes done more frequently. This can minimize the potential for failure.

Also, the dealer told me that I need to have a CEL for them to even consider a tensioner and guides replacement, due to regulations at VW Canada.

... I wonder if they can spoof it at the dealer to approve the warranty request.
BuffMcBigHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
Bs180
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtibot View Post
Just FYI, I tried to get VW Canada to pay for it but no luck. We're stuck with paying for the cost to fix ourselves. I have almost 200K and no problems yet, but will pay to have it fixed since I plan to keep car for awhile.
200k on the old style tensioner? Anyone know if there’s any way besides ripping into the engine to see if the tensioner is the revised one it not. I’ve had the pleasure of having to swap in a new/motor because of the oil baffle and I don’t remember if the engine I swapped in was a 2012+.
Bs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs180 View Post
200k on the old style tensioner? Anyone know if there’s any way besides ripping into the engine to see if the tensioner is the revised one it not. I’ve had the pleasure of having to swap in a new/motor because of the oil baffle and I don’t remember if the engine I swapped in was a 2012+.
Checking the tensioner is really easy. The Humble Mechanic made a video on how to do it: How to Check 2.0T TSI Timing Chain Tensioner

If you want to get a better look at it (without a mirror) you can pull the passenger wheel, fender liner, and turbo outlet pipe. Also super easy and will take 5mins after the car is up on jack stands.

Tags
2.0 tsi, tensioner failure, timing chain