GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heading to the track and I've got some questions

FFAC

Ready to race!
I basically with everything that was said. I don't want to alarm or scare you off but there is a comment that should be made regarding whether to install a harness. It is my humble opinion that a harness and no roll bar is more dangerous than staying with the stock three point harness. In the highly unlikely but still possible event your car were to roll (e.g., going off track sideways and hit a rut), your body / neck is stuck in an upright position which is incredibly dangerous if the roof caves in. If your interest in a harness is to simply keep yourself more planted, there are things you can do with your three point restrain system (e.g., cg lock or pull seat all the way back, tug hard on the shoulder belt till it locks, and pull seat forward while maintaining the shoulder belt in a locked position). Although these methods are not as good at keeping you planted as a full race harness, they definitely help and will be more than adequate for a track day. I also strongly agree that you should consider ATE or Motul 600 brake fluid. If possible, upgraded break pads are highly recommended. After that, the car is very capable on the track in stock form. Best of luck.

Thank you for your help. I am going to pass on the harness but will take your advice for the stock harness into account. I will be getting high temperature brake fluid before the track day, but today I get tires! Down the road, I am sure I will be upgrading to some better brake pads and ss brake lines. As for this track day, I have already spent more than enough money and am sure my car is more than adequate for my level of experience.

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
SS lines may provide a firmer peddle feel. However, I know plenty of people who track their cars a lot and have stock brake lines. Regardless, installing ss lines could raise a red flag to VW that the car has been tracked. Evidence the car has been tracked could be used try to defeat a warranty claim on, say, your engine or transmission. From personal experience, there are other manufacturers and dealerships who will look for anything excuse to deny a claim. Of course, ss lines would not cause engine or transmission failure. However, they could argue the fact you have been tracking / abusing the car is a cause of the engine or transmission failure. My advice would be to error on the side of caution and forgo ss lines while under warranty.

Last edited:

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Also, SS lines on track cars originally came to use to prevent debri from damaging the rubber lines, the other side effect was a better brake feel. However this would also mean that you should inspect your SS lines occasionally because they could fray and burst leading to catastrophic brake failure.

Your setup with tires, and fluid will be fine... You can also watch you tubes of horse thief mile to familiarize yourself.

FFAC

Ready to race!
SS lines may provide a firmer peddle feel. However, I know plenty of people who track their cars a lot and have stock brake lines. Regardless, installing ss lines could raise a red flag to VW that the car has been tracked. Evidence the car has been tracked could be used try to defeat a warranty claim on, say, your engine or transmission. From personal experience, there are other manufacturers an dealerships who will look for anything excuse to deny a claim. Of course, ss lines would not cause engine or transmission failure. However, they could argue the fact you have been tracking / abusing the car is a cause of the engine or transmission failure. My advice would be to error on the side of caution and forgo ss lines while under warranty.

Good to know...thank you. If the ss brake lines are a red flag for VW, I will wait till my warranty is up, looks (and sounds like from reading more about this topic) like brake fluid will be good enough.

Also, SS lines on track cars originally came to use to prevent debri from damaging the rubber lines, the other side effect was a better brake feel. However this would also mean that you should inspect your SS lines occasionally because they could fray and burst leading to catastrophic brake failure.

Your setup with tires, and fluid will be fine... You can also watch you tubes of horse thief mile to familiarize yourself.

I probably have gone overboard with tires and fluid (also got a Dieselgeek short shifter on the way!!) for my level experience, but part of the fun is transforming my car into a mean machine, even if it is more than I need, haha.

And as for video of horse thief mile, I have been trying to find as much video as possible :thumbup:.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Oh... Also bring a cooler with lots of water, food/ snacks, extra basic tools if you have any, sunscreen, floor Jack, painters tape:)

FFAC

Ready to race!
Oh... Also bring a cooler with lots of water, food/ snacks, extra basic tools if you have any, sunscreen, floor Jack, painters tape:)

My selection of tools goes as far as a hammer, a measuring tape, and a screw driver (most of the tools I have access to are at my father's house, unfortunately this was the result of moving into a house with no garage). As for a jack, all I have is what came with the car. I can, however, get the rest, thanks for the help Panda.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
My selection of tools goes as far as a hammer, a measuring tape, and a screw driver (most of the tools I have access to are at my father's house, unfortunately this was the result of moving into a house with no garage). As for a jack, all I have is what came with the car. I can, however, get the rest, thanks for the help Panda.

Don't worry, I'll bring my floorjack and some tools as well:)

FFAC

Ready to race!
Thanks Chad, I will pick that up as well. I just hope the weather cooperates...rain is the forecast:mad0259: Booo.

Chad@APR-Motorsport

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Chad, I will pick that up as well. I just hope the weather cooperates...rain is the forecast:mad0259: Booo.

Your car will do just fine in the rain, it will understeer like a crazy and you'll still have a great time. In the end it will just make you want a LSD before your next track day.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion

Better drivers are still fast in the rain. The best example is Ayrton Senna. See the videos of his rain battles vs. the other F1 drivers.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Your car will do just fine in the rain, it will understeer like a crazy and you'll still have a great time. In the end it will just make you want a LSD before your next track day.

Yeah, just don't push hard in the rain, especially if it's your first time on the track... It's new to me too because this is my first time in the rain.

The one thing to be keep in mind is that if the track where dry and you went off track, many times you just slide off and go into an uncontrollable spin that's kinda fun as long as you don't damage anything:)

But on a wet track, the dirt run offs will be muddy which would just hook the tires if you come off side ways causing the car to just roll:(

Maybe if it seems as if you are gonna loose it just go straight off... Rather than put yourself in a position where you slide off sideways.

FFAC

Ready to race!
I cannot wait then! I was not sure if the track would be shut down or not. Either way, rain or no rain, it will be a blast.