GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

caring for leather seats

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
They will dry out & crack over time so it is important to treat them once in a while. I do the leather seats in my wife's MINI twice a year. Only takes a bit of time.

Agreed, they need something.
They need to be taken care of - like anything else, and they need to be prevented from drying.
Just, research what you use, what type of leather it's aimed at - and if it's the right one for he car.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
If you read the labels on most of these products, they market the product as something aimed for a type of leather that our car seats are not really like.
They are marketed as something that is drenched in conditioners to soften leather - like a baseball glove.
Too much softening can actually break down and age the fibers of the leather.
The leather on our vehicles seats is not like the leather of an old butter soft seated Ferrari.
Our seats are a heavily processed materiel.
I'm not saying don't clean them, or take care of them, or not to use a protectant product on them.
As of now, I've only use 303 Protectant on mine.
I'm primarily concerned with giving them a repellent surface and protecting them from too much UVs.
I did purchase a Lexol product, but I've yet to use.

^THIS.

Many people overcondition their car leather surfaces, which is bad. Check out detailer's domain and other resources out there. As with EE, I am more interested in UV protection.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I use two products from AMMO; The Interior Cleanser and the Conditioner. Yes, AMMO is a bit pricey but the results are downright phenomenal. The cleanser is like an enhanced Lexol, while the conditioner leaves a matte finish. No oily residue from that either.

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
Leather needs conditioning it loves moisture.
Use a dedicated leather cleaner and then a proper leather conditioner. I use Auto Finesse's Hide on a MF pad and buff with an MF cloth.

Also, try using a steam cleaner on them if they are really neglected. Dull and soft is what you are looking for from well treated leather.

kona

Go to jag or Bentley dealership and grab some connolly hide food. Excellent stuff. Remember a little goes a long way.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Go to jag or Bentley dealership and grab some connolly hide food. Excellent stuff. Remember a little goes a long way.

Classiest answer I have seen. We don't have genuine leather though. Will that make a difference?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

We don't have Connolly Leather on our seats.
Wrong product.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

KO7

Ready to race!
All over the interwebs, I see 303 being recommended for various automotive uses (leather seats, Miata ragtop etc.). Where is the actual best place to buy it from?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
All over the interwebs, I see 303 being recommended for various automotive uses (leather seats, Miata ragtop etc.). Where is the actual best place to buy it from?

It's not available in stores.
(Unless something's changed since I've last purchased it.)

Amazon carries it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Doesn't mean you can't use it. I have used it on my Acura for years with great results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's like putting Pledge on furniture that's varnished.