GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein on back order :(

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Ordered Bilstein's B12 kit through ECS about 3 weeks ago. Found out today that they are on back order and they have no idea when they'll be available.

Kind of bummed out right now. I pretty much ordered an entirely new suspension set up and can't do anything until the kit comes back in stock. The rep at ECS told me this was a known issue with Bilstein.

I just want to get this stuff installed so I can move onto other parts of the build.

For the record I don't fault ECS for this. Although, when I ordered the kit it said "in stock" on their website. I just hope it gets sorted out because I am getting impatient lol

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
They seem to be available on Ebay, have you checked there?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Koni > Bilstein ;)

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Myself and everyone that I autocross with trust Koni. Having a damping adjustable shock for under $700 is a great deal. I've put 15k miles on mine and haven't had any issues. The feedback I've gotten on Bilstein is that they are overvalved and are generally harsher on the street. I've had Koni Yellows on every car I've ever owned and they've never let me down.

clownish

just clowning around
If you can get them, I think you'll like them.

I've had 3 different Bilstien set ups so far - b8s with VWR springs, PSS9, and PSS10s. I think they're excellent on the street and the coilover set ups are great autoX or tracking as well depending on set up. I would vouch for them on the mk5 or Mk6 platforms any time. Great performance and durability in salt, snow, daily driving etc. - combined mileage over 125k mi and 4-5 years.

The only thing I would mention is I destroyed my PSS9s through far too many wheel hop filled launches at the drag strip (my own fault) and they started leaking/needed rebuilding so I pulled them off and installed PSS10s while also adding a lot more suspension changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Bilstein on back order ?

Made my mind up on Bilstein B8s yesterday, went to order with Uro Tuning and they informed me they are out of stock until August. FML.
Wait or buy Konis. Now I gotta research Koni's to death.

Does anyone have any experience with the VWR Struts? https://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=5645

I just had the VWR struts installed for a few weeks. I’d give them an 8/10 for performance. They perform much better than the factory with VWR springs. Could be a little more firm when hitting small dips at slower speeds. Still get slight bounciness but other than that they soak up the bigger bumps well at higher speeds and feel nice around corners. Also, I think the drop is perfect now on my car since it’s my daily. Can’t compare them against Koni or Bilstein as I haven’t had those setups. I took a long time researching and decided on the Racingline kit since they are valved for their springs and the price falls between them. I was wanting to go with Bilstein B8s but the almost $700 price tag for dampers and shocks made me hesitate because in that price range I would just save up more for coilovers. I think for the price the VWR are nice. They aren’t perfect but I guess you have to make compromises somewhere. I wish I could ride in other GTIs with Bilstein/VWR springs as well as Koni/VWR springs to see what would be my preference. I think if I end up changing things out down the road I’ll probably get coilovers.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Made my mind up on Bilstein B8s yesterday, went to order with Uro Tuning and they informed me they are out of stock until August. FML.
Wait or buy Konis. Now I gotta research Koni's to death.

Does anyone have any experience with the VWR Struts? https://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=5645

August?!?!?! I'm not waiting that long. The rep at ECS said theres no way to know when they'd be available and so I was hoping another couple weeks. I'm also waiting on a flush fit kit and I know that's only gonna take a couple more weeks. If I don't hear anything by then I am going to find another kit.

Myself and everyone that I autocross with trust Koni. Having a damping adjustable shock for under $700 is a great deal. I've put 15k miles on mine and haven't had any issues. The feedback I've gotten on Bilstein is that they are overvalved and are generally harsher on the street. I've had Koni Yellows on every car I've ever owned and they've never let me down.

Thank you for your input. Koni was my second choice...and it looks like I'll be switching because I'm not going to wait until fall for parts.

If you can get them, I think you'll like them.

I've had 3 different Bilstien set ups so far - b8s with VWR springs, PSS9, and PSS10s. I think they're excellent on the street and the coilover set ups are great autoX or tracking as well depending on set up. I would vouch for them on the mk5 or Mk6 platforms any time. Great performance and durability in salt, snow, daily driving etc. - combined mileage over 125k mi and 4-5 years.

The only thing I would mention is I destroyed my PSS9s through far too many wheel hop filled launches at the drag strip (my own fault) and they started leaking/needed rebuilding so I pulled them off and installed PSS10s while also adding a lot more suspension changes.

Thank you. I really wanted bilstein. I have known other guys running them and have always liked their performance. Unfortunately, I cant wait forever. I have a build plan and this stuff is the first in the line of other mods. I'm shooting to be done by july. Time is money! lol

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

This looks like a great choice, IMO

Having a damping adjustable shock for under $700 is a great deal. I've put 15k miles on mine and haven't had any issues. The feedback I've gotten on Bilstein is that they are overvalved and are generally harsher on the street. I've had Koni Yellows on every car I've ever owned and they've never let me down.

x2 on this

You can't go wrong with the Konis. Great dampers