GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble with shifts...what is to blame?...hot weather?

FFAC

Ready to race!
Hello all, I need some of your knowledge/help. To start out, I have had some trouble with the smoothness of my shifts as of late (since I moved) and have gotten curious as to what I can do to fix it...

The problem I am having (manual btw)...after every shift (especially in shifts 1->2, 2->3, and 3->4) it feels as though I lose all boost...its as if the car is lugging down every time I shift. While in San Diego (much cooler weather, temperature: 70-75 degrees) the shifts were much smoother. I have been in Palm Springs for about 2 weeks and wow...the shifts are terrible. It is also hotter than hell out here (it got to 110 today).

I have also noticed that when the A/C is on, the car does not shift as smooth...but this hot weather has really magnified something and I can't figure out what it is. Do I replace the DV? Will a stage 1 tune smooth the shifts? What can I do so that it smooths out the power delivery?

I took my car to Paradise VW in Palm Desert, CA and asked them to check over the clutch, transmission, etc. and they found nothing (I had to make sure nothing was seriously wrong).

Do any of you from hotter climates experience this? And if so, what is your solution? And...what other precautions are you taking with your car in severe heat? This will be my first summer in Palm Springs with the GTI...

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
Hello all, I need some of your knowledge/help. To start out, I have had some trouble with the smoothness of my shifts as of late (since I moved) and have gotten curious as to what I can do to fix it...

The problem I am having (manual btw)...after every shift (especially in shifts 1->2, 2->3, and 3->4) it feels as though I lose all boost...its as if the car is lugging down every time I shift. While in San Diego (much cooler weather, temperature: 70-75 degrees) the shifts were much smoother. I have been in Palm Springs for about 2 weeks and wow...the shifts are terrible. It is also hotter than hell out here (it got to 110 today).

I have also noticed that when the A/C is on, the car does not shift as smooth...but this hot weather has really magnified something and I can't figure out what it is. Do I replace the DV? Will a stage 1 tune smooth the shifts? What can I do so that it smooths out the power delivery?

I took my car to Paradise VW in Palm Desert, CA and asked them to check over the clutch, transmission, etc. and they found nothing (I had to make sure nothing was seriously wrong).

Do any of you from hotter climates experience this? And if so, what is your solution? And...what other precautions are you taking with your car in severe heat? This will be my first summer in Palm Springs with the GTI...

when the AC is on the 6 spd gets hit pretty hard. idk why but it does. i only drive on the highway with the AC since i stay in 6th gear the entire drive.
if you shift faster you'll be able to make it smooth.
it was 98 degrees ish over here in Boston and the car handled fine.
when you say the car is lugging down, is it in between shifts or right before or right after? the more details you give the better

FFAC

Ready to race!
when the AC is on the 6 spd gets hit pretty hard. idk why but it does. i only drive on the highway with the AC since i stay in 6th gear the entire drive.
if you shift faster you'll be able to make it smooth.
it was 98 degrees ish over here in Boston and the car handled fine.
when you say the car is lugging down, is it in between shifts or right before or right after? the more details you give the better

I normally never used the A/C in San Diego, but it is impossible not to use it here. The lugging down feeling I get is right after I depress the clutch to change a gear which confuses me because the engine is supposed to be disengaged at that point. It feels as if I bump the brakes a bit every time I depress the clutch to change a gear...maybe lugging down isn't the right term to use.

Skivvy9r

Ready to race!
Everything you describe is normal. The A/C puts an additional load on the motor and the heat has a negative impact on performance.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
I normally never used the A/C in San Diego, but it is impossible not to use it here. The lugging down feeling I get is right after I depress the clutch to change a gear which confuses me because the engine is supposed to be disengaged at that point. It feels as if I bump the brakes a bit every time I depress the clutch to change a gear...maybe lugging down isn't the right term to use.

does your body jerk forward a bit as well? if so then it might be because you're accelerating too fast. When you accelerate quickly, then stop, then accelerate again, your body jerks forward because of the momentum you gained during the first acceleration and falls right back into your seat.

if this is the problem, try shifting at a lower rpm or stop accelerating too fast. i shift around 2500 rpm for smooth shifts

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I hope it is an operator just getting use to the car, clutch. If not and I had to choose between using the A/C and comfort or smooth operation, that would suck and be a major design flaw. DSG smooth as glass running A/C in weather temps around 100 degrees.

Get the service manager to drive it with you inside, see how it operates.

jerm

Ready to race!
Revs drop quicker between gears with the A/C on. Happens on the GTI, as well as my previous cars.