GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thule Rack...good deal??

path

Ready to race!
that price is fine...but not spectacular

i paid $240 for my bars, towers, and fit kit. i did not get the "R" version which has the oval shaped silver crossbars. mine are the standard black crossbars.

it is tough to get THULE stuff on sale

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

nimzie

Driving hard.
I went with a hitch mount option because I drive a boatload. Hidden Hitch does a decent job of keeping things tidy back there. I know it's close to a sin to put a hitch on a GTI, but it has to be done in my case - it's a work requirement.
Gas savings over a summer of many KMs w/ hitch rack over roof is astounding. So is road noise and usability of your sunroof when bikes are on. I despise the whistling noise that bikes make on the roof collecting bugs on the fork stanchions... ow.

FFAC

Ready to race!
Thanks for the help guys, I will keep looking. I will also check out the oem and Yakima racks, I just hear how much some guys love the Thule racks so I figured I should go with them.

And as for a hitch mount, I don't know if I can let myself put a hitch on my gti, I know I can't, hopefully I won't regret the roof mount option. But I will be buying which ever one I go with soon, so I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks again.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
rackwarehouse, "travel2" coupon (extra 10% off).

I couldn't find better than that.

FFAC

Ready to race!
So I found a really good deal from someone in my area that has Yakima Q towers, crossbars, and fairing. My only question is the length of the crossbars...they are 48".

I called Yakima and asked if these would fit and they told me that it wouldn't. Do any of you guys use 48" crossbars as opposed to the only other option of 58" crossbars?

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
rackwarehouse, "travel2" coupon (extra 10% off).

I couldn't find better than that.

This code FTW!!!! I was on the fence between the OEM THULE rack and the "aftermarket" THULE rack w/ wind fairing w/ price and wind noise compromise... and this price w/ code (almost 20% off original price on THULE) made the decision. I'll be getting it now in the month of July. Thanks for sharing that JMBLUR! :thumbsup:

path

Ready to race!
So I found a really good deal from someone in my area that has Yakima Q towers, crossbars, and fairing. My only question is the length of the crossbars...they are 48".

I called Yakima and asked if these would fit and they told me that it wouldn't. Do any of you guys use 48" crossbars as opposed to the only other option of 58" crossbars?

a 48" would fit the back, but not in the front. 58" would overhang the roof by 4 inches on each side..."I" would cut them down to 50" or 52".

path

Ready to race!
These are THULE 50"

you can see the overhang on the front crossbar...i would estimate it at 1.25"

Last edited: