GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID projector retrofit without cutting?

ride106

Ready to race!
The retrofits shown in your link have definitely been cut open, the entire concave reflector has been removed so the shiny projector shroud can fit in its place.

If you want to make a xenon retrofit with a projector lens, you're going to have to cut the housing open.

Think of it another way. If you didn't want to cut them open, the projector lens would have to be inserted through the hole where the stock halogen bulb fits. Would be a pretty small projector lens.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - to be fair, I've never retrofitted a pair. I don't have the lamps to sacrifice :)

DREKO

Passed Driver's Ed
I didnt realy look into it too much since I have xenons, but why does the housing need to be cut open. In my old car when I needed to open the headlight housing I would put them into the oven at 250 deg for five to ten minutes. The headlights would pull apart nicely and the glue would stay in the same place. Then to reseal them, heat them back up in the oven and stick them back together. It would be a factory looking seal and no leaking! But maybe the GTI headlights are different. Like I said I never paid attention to my headlights because I already have xenons.

jasunto

Ready to race!
Word on the street is that the MKVI glue has a higher melting temp than the plastic, one would melt headlight before glue releases?

Jimmer1

Ready to race!
I believe it can be done, but it would take real patience and skill to pull it off first time around. A member, Sukanas, does the retrofit units for a grand - he's done enough units to make them professional enough that they're probably worth getting. Think about screwing up a headlight unit - probably doesn't make it worth messing with. Here's a happy customer....

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16225&highlight=sukanas

JasonH

Ready to race!
The only way to do a retrofit on the MKVI is to cut open the headlight housing.

If you use the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors, at least you don't have to basically destroy the reflector, they simply mount using the H7 hole. The FXR projectors in that link will require some MAJOR work.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Those are not OEM headlamp,that is why he can remove the lens since it not sealed like a MF from VW

Jimmer1

Ready to race!
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure he used the Morimoto's and uses the OEM unit with cutting. I don't know about all you folk looking for retrofit, but I wished I'd ******* ordered the car with Xenon's in the first place! I'm actually going for aftermarket projector units as I can't stand the halogens any longer - but they'll never be OEM.:(

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I believe it can be done, but it would take real patience and skill to pull it off first time around. A member, Sukanas, does the retrofit units for a grand - he's done enough units to make them professional enough that they're probably worth getting. Think about screwing up a headlight unit - probably doesn't make it worth messing with. Here's a happy customer....

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16225&highlight=sukanas

I remember him posting up pics of the process and he definitely cuts them open though.

JasonH

Ready to race!
Guys, there is NO WAY to install projectors without cutting open the headlight. Period. As said earlier, the sealant VW uses in the MKVI has a higher melting temperature then the plastic.

With the Minimoto H1, you still have to cut the headlight open, you just don't have to cut up the H7 halogen reflector. Which is a HUGE advantage when it comes to mounting and alignment.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Think that was his guinea pig versions.....might be wrong, though.

They definitely weren't guinea pigs. He had stacks of them. Had pics of him bringing home a GTI-load of headlamps in boxes

edit: this is the thread I was thinking of - http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15400
I guess I must've been thinking of two different threads at the same time.. so I guess you might be right.

Jimmer1

Ready to race!
I believe that Sukanas is from a tribe in Papua New Guinea, where their hands are small enough to reach inside a Vegas slot machine and pull out a million dollars in quarters. Retrofitting GTI headlights is simply a sideline.