GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
People have had it happen, but I think it's pretty random. Definitely not 12 degrees (which you're probably pulling more since that's the max).

I have BFI Stage 2's, the 034 dogbone and have zero timing pull ever.

im running the SPM mounts with the poly swapped out for delrin.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
whelp after really taking a look at these cruising logs with James9120, im apparently pulling -12deg of timing (FML). he suggested taking a look at plug gap. im running the Bkr8eix at (i believe a 28) gap. any suggestions for plug gap if needs to be changed?

Also HIGHLY considering changing tuners as i am confident in what ive built after the blown motor incident back in september. making sure every precaution and updated part or accessory was taken care of.

ill be happy to share the cruising logs with anyone that wants to see (pm me your email). but this is where im at at the time being.
You transfer parts over from the blown engine to the new one? Might want to take into consideration one of those parts might be faulty and causing your timing pull. Not sure what blew your last engine but I have a good idea lol. If you're running the same tune as the last engine, yeah I'd switch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
You transfer parts over from the blown engine to the new one? Might want to take into consideration one of those parts might be faulty and causing your timing pull. Not sure what blew your last engine but I have a good idea lol. If you're running the same tune as the last engine, yeah I'd switch.

whole new short block. head was cleaned and UV tested. all new components (basically brand new head). all new chains, guides, tensioners, every gasket changed. injectors cleaned and resealed. Basically everything that is mechanical, sensor, or used to seal...is brand new.

At this point yes i am leaning towards the tune. everything else i am confident in what i have built and do this on a day to day basis. this one issue has me extremely puzzled but it all points to the tune.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
ps- this was what happened on the last motor. this is cyl 1

james9120

Go Kart Champion
what is the tune requesting? is it pulling 12* on all 4 cylinders? what about load, maf, etc?
That's the part that doesn't make sense to me, at 6600 he's at 3* timing angle -12 on 1&4 and about -10 2&3. I thought it wasn't possible to pull timing beyond the ignition angle?

a3scott20

Ready to race!
whelp after really taking a look at these cruising logs with James9120, im apparently pulling -12deg of timing (FML). he suggested taking a look at plug gap. im running the Bkr8eix at (i believe a 28) gap. any suggestions for plug gap if needs to be changed?

Also HIGHLY considering changing tuners as i am confident in what ive built after the blown motor incident back in september. making sure every precaution and updated part or accessory was taken care of.

ill be happy to share the cruising logs with anyone that wants to see (pm me your email). but this is where im at at the time being.

Pulling -12deg of timing like this?
-12deg.jpg

I think that is something like protection and car will not pull that hard like before. BTW, this log was made from a friend of mine and he was trying to make his intake piping from titanium but with wrong MAF sensor height. The problem solved by making the same height as OEM MAF sensor.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown

View attachment 55627

I think that is something like protection and car will not pull that hard like before. BTW, this log was made from a friend of mine and he was trying to make his intake piping from titanium but with wrong MAF sensor height. The problem solved by making the same height as OEM MAF sensor.

Im using the stock maf housing

what is the tune requesting? is it pulling 12* on all 4 cylinders? what about load, maf, etc?

pmd you

james9120

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 55627

Difference is his timing is 3* and pulling -12 somehow lol

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Jesus, who's tuning it?

Also what's the trans code for either beetle or gli transmissions? I sold the gti, but the new owner shredded 4th.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
ok so a little update:

That -12 deg log was taken back in 2013 on a different tune. I had logged the same parameters this time around and it happened to be on the same log.

GIAC is now recommending that my DV recirc is not properly setup being it Ts in after the MAF and not Ys in. Could this be an issue?

Also that i have a TTRS lpfp could be causing part throttle issues and to swap it back and see if that helps. (not that hard of a option to change or try)

But would anyone forsee any of this being an issue before i go back in digging?

waiting on new lips for my wheels to go out and take a new set of logs but is any of this worth my time going in and fucking around? im just kinda tired of being told everytime i take a log or ask for a file update or tweak that something is wrong with my setup or "they dont like it"

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
ok so a little update:

That -12 deg log was taken back in 2013 on a different tune. I had logged the same parameters this time around and it happened to be on the same log.

GIAC is now recommending that my DV recirc is not properly setup being it Ts in after the MAF and not Ys in. Could this be an issue?

Also that i have a TTRS lpfp could be causing part throttle issues and to swap it back and see if that helps. (not that hard of a option to change or try)

But would anyone forsee any of this being an issue before i go back in digging?

waiting on new lips for my wheels to go out and take a new set of logs but is any of this worth my time going in and fucking around? im just kinda tired of being told everytime i take a log or ask for a file update or tweak that something is wrong with my setup or "they dont like it"

I have my DV re-circ tied in just like yours and have a TTRS pump and controller and don't have those issues.

Either you have a bad tune issue or a bad hardware (build) issue. Since none of this was happening before I'd tend to think build issue, but that's just me. Have you verified compression/leakdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
I have my DV re-circ tied in just like yours and have a TTRS pump and controller and don't have those issues.

Either you have a bad tune issue or a bad hardware (build) issue. Since none of this was happening before I'd tend to think build issue, but that's just me. Have you verified compression/leakdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i knew someone here has the same setup! just forgot who.

The motor is brand new. maybe 3k miles on it. last compression test i did was right before i started the top mount project back in jan/feb and all was good. keep in mind this was happening before then as well