GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

During CPO process, what are the key things they do?

bruck

Ready to race!
A car I'm looking at has some pretty gnarly looking rims that are scratched up. I know when BMW CPO's a car they often replace scratched rims. Can anyone shed some light on the trend and the requirements (by vw) as to what they "HAVE" to do and what they "CAN" do?

Thanks.

GTIMD

Passed Driver's Ed
plug it in, look at the screen, change the oil, and charge more money.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Flipping through their 112 points quickly; there is nothing specifically about the wheels. However, under exterior it does have "Reasonably Free of Cosmetic Damage"

You can probably press for a new wheel if the damage is relatively significant (bent, heavily scratched up, paint damage) but likely not if it is just a minor scrape or two.

bruck

Ready to race!
Flipping through their 112 points quickly; there is nothing specifically about the wheels. However, under exterior it does have "Reasonably Free of Cosmetic Damage"

You can probably press for a new wheel if the damage is relatively significant (bent, heavily scratched up, paint damage) but likely not if it is just a minor scrape or two.

I tried to push for new rims but they insisted that they are not bent or chipped, just scratched from a curb, they look ugly but what am I gonna do. I'll probably just wait till someone on here sells one at a great deal.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
You should call VWoA and ask them for a definition of "Reasonably Free of Cosmetic Damage"

While you have them on the phone let them know they have a dealership not performing cpo inspections properly...

When I bought my R cpo, it was literally flawless, and the dealer said they wouldn't certify any car that didn't pass every point of the inspection.

P

plac

i bought a CPO 2008 GTI once... then i found out it had been in an accident.. no idea how in hell it made a CPO status.. the door hinge was wrecked and the door would open a full 90 degrees... my fault for not catching it before i signed i guess...

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
CPO warranty and inspection do want the car in good looking condition but a chipped up rim is not something covered by the CPO once you buy the car. The reason it needs to look nice is simply so VW can say their dealers have products that represent their look on the lot. You can get them to fix them I am sure but you will pay for it, had they wanted to fix the wheels they would have already and the asking price would simply have been higher to reflect that cost.

If the wheels are something with say a machined finish they cannot be easily fixed for 100 bucks by the local mobile wheel repair guy so you are talking a couple hundred bucks per wheel added to the price. If they replaced two wheels I would expect the listed price to be about a grand higher.

If you like the car and the price is right just buy it and find used ones to replace them with later sell the slightly damaged wheels. Use the fact that the wheels are not great to get the price reduced since they have more room to work that way, demanding new wheels will just jack the price up or have them tell you to walk.